1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suicide

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Feb 3, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't anyone worry. I'm not considering it at all.

The last few days have really sucked though, and tonight I just learned that two students from my old high school have committed suicide in the last two weeks, and both did it in the same manner -- by throwing themselves in front of a commuter train. (There's a station adjacent to the campus, and a lot of kids, as I did, take the train to school. The note I saw said it happened after school, which makes me think it was probably done in front of a group of classmates.)

I don't have any information about the individual kids, or what their motivations might have been, but I still find it incredibly upsetting.

I'm just heartbroken for their families, who I don't even know.

If anyone is ever suicidal, please reach out to someone.

Smallpotatoes and Riptide like this.
  2. YankeeFan

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Hate hearing stories like this.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The copycat/contagious nature of this is what is disturbing. There were a rash of them, two or three, at a high school near me a couple years ago.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Palo Alto has had a lot of these, especially in two timeframes (2009 and again this year). Most of the theories focus on the extreme pressure students face at one of the highest-achieving districts in the nation.

I know the NYT visited too, but here's what the Atlantic wrote.

The Silicon Valley Suicides

McGee was new to the district that year, but he’d known the history when he took the job. The 10-year suicide rate for the two high schools is between four and five times the national average. Starting in the spring of 2009 and stretching over nine months, three Gunn students, one incoming freshman, and one recent graduate had put themselves in front of an oncoming Caltrain. Another recent graduate had hung himself. While the intervening years had been quieter, they had not been comforting. School counselors remained “overwhelmed and overloaded” with an influx of kids considered high risk, says Roni Gillenson, who has helped oversee Gunn’s mental-health program since 2006. Twelve percent of Palo Alto high-school students surveyed in the 2013–14 school year reported having seriously contemplated suicide in the past 12 months.

In McGee’s third month on the job, about three weeks before Cameron’s death, a girl from a local private school had jumped off an overpass. Then, a day later, a kid who’d graduated from Gunn the year before, Quinn Gens, had killed himself on the tracks.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If it is true that they wanted to do it in front of classmates like this, I'm gonna guess they had some issue or interaction with students or staff that led to or contributed to their depression and suicidal thoughts.

8. YankeeFan

Hard to say.

From the news reports, the first student did it in the morning at a suburban station, in a town that doesn't send a lot of kids to the school. (It's further north than where most kids come from.)

The second kid did it after school, at a stop that serves the school. Classmates surely witnessed this.

But, what role did the first suicide play on the second student.

I am a little upset looking at the schools Facebook feed. They announced the death of the second student, and mentioned grief counselor sand such. Without saying it, it sounded like suicide.

But, the death of the first student went unmentioned. Facebook was all happy talk about sports and such. Makes me worry they didn't take the first suicide seriously enough.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I take that train line home from NYC each day and was delayed on Monday getting home bc of the incident. No big deal when you consider the circumstances. That MTA worker should lose their job for saying that about the kid. Sadly, there seems to be two to three suicides per month on that train line.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm on the Harlem Line, but I think the New Haven line also goes through Fordham-Botanical Gardens. Service was messed up for hours and Grand Central was as packed as I've seen it in a long time. This is about 6:15. I decided to leave and go grab a bite to eat then came back around 7:30. It was still a bit of a mess but they were running some trains north.

The conductors often communicate to each other publicly (usually about checking a door that doesn't close right), but I can't even fathom that one of them would consider saying something like that on a public channel.

My daughter has lost classmates at both prep school and college to suicide in recent years, too. For whatever reason, it at least seems to be more prevalent than it used to be. I get the impression kids feel a lot more pressure these days.

IMG_2057.JPG

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    YankeeFan likes this.
  11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I've actually wrote about suicide a lot when I was covering preps. There were three during a two-month stretch at one point and all were football players of varying prominence. One of the private high schools made a very impassioned case that we shouldn't report on it, because it would inspire more suicides.

Going into those living rooms to interview the families forever changed me.

In the aftermath of each, I got hundreds of messages from all different directions. Everything from "Why aren't you covering this epidemic more?" to "Why are you glorifying such a shameful, selfish act?" to "If these kids wanted to be dead, we should let them die."

It's not a time of my career I look upon fondly.

One of my best friends told me recently that he's had thoughts about it before. Not serious, but things like "What would happen if I just drove my car off the road? What would the reaction be?" and it scared the shit out of me. I immediately told him to call me if he ever has thoughts about that again, but when I really thought about it, I even remember times during my younger years when I had similar strange fantasies in my mind, but never acted on them, of course.

The whole topic is awful and fascinating at the same time.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Starting about two years ago, over the course of a year, I was notified of three suicides:
    1-The 16-year-old grandson of my cousin.
    2-the 35-year old son of a close high school friend.
    3- the 30-something brother of a 20-year co-worker.

No. 2 has been especially difficult for my friend, who is a dear, sweet woman and a friend anybody and everybody. Her son was married a little more than a year after a 14-year relationship. The reason for this tragedy is and will always remain a mystery.
    And there is a disturbing pattern of suicides in this city in that age group -- not the Silicon Valley version posted above, but not too far away. The local newspaper wrote a lengthy story about it 5-6 years ago. Last year, it updated the story online because there have been four more since then, including my friend's son, who is not mentioned in the original story. The story (link below) provides no answers, just a bunch of theories and possibilities that most likely can't be proven.

SUICIDES: HIGH RATE AMONG CARMEL CLASS LEAVES MANY ASKING 'WHY'

Draft saved Draft deleted