1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

suicide via myspace (a story)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I disagree with the decision to not publish the family's name "out of consideration for their teenage daughter."

Fuck that. Those parents deserved to be humiliated, and it sounds like the daughter's a real bitch too.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The whole story is sad and an example of kids and parents can do with (and without) technology.

However that part of the story (quoted above) was a little bit of a curveball (or the copy editor didn't pay close enough attention to ask the reporter about it). Earlier in the story it said on the day of the suicide that the mother was rushing the younger daughter out of the house after school to the orthodontist and wanted Megan to sign off. If Megan was supposed to have the braces removed that day (presumably by an orthodontist) why weren't the sisters scheduled for back-to-back appointments? There was nothing in the story about the mother taking Meagan back out. Just that the mother came home, confronted Megan about the vulgarities she was firing back, and Megan went off to her room before dinner. Then while making dinner the mother got a sick feeling and ran up to check on Megan and found that she had hung herself. The copy editor in me is questioning the timeline that this quote contradicts.

Once again, it's a tragic story that shows how mean-spirited people can be and I don't wish it happening on anyone.

3. EStreetJoe

I agree. The parents aren't minors. Let their names be known.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Megan didn't die until the next day.

5. EStreetJoe

ooops... you're right. Looks like I'm the one with egg on my face in need of better copy editing skills.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Still questionable as to why people would make two appointments in back to back days.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Absolutely heart breaking.

The law needs to be changed. The family of Megan's "friend" did everything in their power to cause her death.

These are the passages that stood out to me:

A joke? How can anyone think a town conspiring to humiliate a 14 year old is funny? And they knew about her depression. They knew what they were doing.

These people are guilty of murder.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Is this really what we want to focus on here?

It's like debating the costume design in "Our American Cousin" from that infamous night at Ford's Theater.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Nobody is focusing on it, Joe. Calm down. EStreet mentioned it, I clarified, then pointed out that his copy-editing questions were not necessarily terrible questions. The end.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's awful... those parents need to rot in hell -- or rot on earth... fuckers

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There are a lot of people--parents, the "friend", specifically-- in that town that needs to spend an extended period of time in prison.

12. Somebody should tell me again how that girl who got hazed at the Cardinals game was weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted