1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

suicide via myspace (a story)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Link:

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24652422/

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I imagine it's because the state declined to file charges after investigating.

3. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I understand that, but I'm wondering if the Feds see this case as one to set a precedent. Maybe I'm looking for something not there.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think they could find any state laws to apply here. There must be some federal law that makes this possible.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

MySpace is based in Beverly Hills, so the grand jury is convening in Los Angeles.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

To borrow a line from Law and Order, law hasn't caught up with technology. Three years in jail is not justice, but it is a start.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'd be shocked is she spent any more than a few weeks if anything unless she has some prior criminal history. That's seems to me like a fair outcome.

9. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

“If you are going to attempt to annoy or go after a little girl and you’re going to use the Internet to do so,” he said, “this office and others across the country will hold you responsible.”

I don't know why, but the first part of this quote gave me chills. This was just a horrible thing to do to a 13-year-old girl.

Draft saved Draft deleted