1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

suicide via myspace (a story)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I just wanted to link to this story that I found interesting. It's about a girl who committed suicide because the parents of a girl she didn't get along with created a fake myspace page to look like a cute boy, gain the girl's trust, and then rip into her.

http://stcharlesjournal.stltoday.com/articles/2007/11/10/news/sj2tn20071110-1111stc_pokin_1.ii1.txt

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Good Lord.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This story is impossible. Myspace is a perfectly safe and normal activity for teenagers and any parent who is skeptical of it, monitors it or questions their teen's usage of it or is worried about their NBC Dateline flight's of fantasy about the 40,000 or so sexual predators who are logging into it is an overbearing whacko......

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sounds like bad news all around. RIP.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Myspace is a tool of the devil. ...

It's nice to see that, at heart, kids haven't changed much since I was in middle school. They've just evolved with the technology. Hopefully this mishap will stick with those fools and they'll change their ways for the better.

6. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Way beyond disturbing.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That story made me cry -- literally.

How can ADULTS be so cruel, when they knew the girl so well and knew about her personal issues? I just hope that Karma exists.

And Zagoshe, MySpace is nothing more than a website on the world wide web in which people can communicate.

Kids are cruel to each other every day on the school yard -- without the aid of computers. Adults do petty things to each other every day -- without the aid of computers. And troubled teenage girls, with histories of depression, unfortunately end up committing suicide sometimes because of cruel things others do to prey on their self-esteem issues. It doesn't take a computer or MySpace for those things to happen, and in fact, very little of it does happen because of computers of social-networking sites.

But stay on your one-man crusade to rid the world of technology and put every kid you know in a burka. Your point is taken, once again.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The parents who "invented Josh Evans" should have their own child taken away.

Anyone that sick doesn't deserve the chance to raise a child.

Nice ethics and morals.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The part that got to me:

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I relayed the story to my wife, who was sitting on the couch behind me as I read, and she said "Sounds like kids I grew up with, like any other girls, only they didn't have myspace."

Myspace isn't to (wholey) blame, the parents are. If it wasn't the website, they sick, twisted parents would have done something else.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Does anyone else find it weird that the mother was so conscientious about her kid's use of MySpace, and then was so panic-stricken when she was yelling at the girl to "SIGN OFF" over the phone when she had let her on it?

The point of monitoring MySpace usage is generally to protect kids from predators that might try to physically harm them. Parents should be vigilant in knowing what their kids are doing online, but shouldn't the bigger task be to prepare them to deal with life on their own when you are not holding their hands?

It sounds like this girl was in such a fragile mental state that it wouldn't have taken much to push her to this. It's very sad. The adults who baited this girl and took advantage of her fragile mental state are despicable, and they bear some guilt for her death. But it seems to me that they set in motion a chain of events that very likely might've materialized in some other way regardless of their actions.

12. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Completely agreed.

Kids can, and will, be sick little fuckers to one another. I don't think any of us is without stories of witnessing, inflicting or suffering ridiculously mean-spirited actions from kids. Just because there's more technology out there for kids to use doesn't reall count for anything. If we were all plunged into a technical dark ages, kids would still find ways to make life miserable for each other.

Stories like this, sadly, make me laugh whenever I hear the idiocy about "the wonders of childhood."

Draft saved Draft deleted