1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suicide jump from the world's tallest building

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, May 10, 2011.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Guy jumps from the 147th floor in Dubai

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ml_dubai_tallest_tower_suicide

He lands on something on the 108th floor.

I'm just wondering if he was trying to really wanting to make a statement by wanting to go all 147 floors down and falling from a building higher than any man had before.

And if that was the case, was the last thing that went through his mind, 'I can't even get this right.'

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

http://www.ktla.com/video/viral/ktla-vid-man-sets-belly-flop-record,0,4225765.htmlstory

Was trying to top this idiot.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

If you fell 147 floors to your death, would you be anything resembling a body at the bottom?

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd like think the last thing that went through his head, besides the 108th floor, is "HOLY SHIT that's a long way down!"

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Looking at that thing, there doesn't appear to be one sheer face on any side of it. So the odds of hitting the ground from the top, unless you were shot off the roof, don't appear to be that good.

6. Captain_Kirk

Well, that's disappointing.

7. doubledown68

If high-rise suicide was your aim, I'd have to think the Hancock building in Chicago would work. Four smooth faces, half the free fall, all of the death. Book your time slot today!

8. Captain_Kirk

Also, a restaurant on the upper stories if I recall, like the Dubai building.

Definitely could score some shock value dropping past someone while they're savoring their lobster bisque or sipping on a martini.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I remember always believing, or having heard or read somewhere, that when you jump and fall that great a distance, you are sure to have a heart attack before you reach the ground.

Typing it out, though, it doesn't sound likely true to me. Does anyone know where I am getting that from?

10. doubledown68

Actually, I've had lunch there. And while I was woefully underdressed (because I had no idea we were going there), it was fairly reasonable, all things considered. Had a very tasty Philly cheesesteak with homemade horseradish spread and fries... for about 13 bucks, IIRC. Also had great a great table in the corner, with the city to my right and the lake in front of me.

I really wasn't nervous until the window washing trolley pulled up on the far side of the building. That freaked the hell out of me.

11. doubledown68

I've heard the same, though I don't remember where, either.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, but how was the veal?

Draft saved Draft deleted