1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suggestions for the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 4, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

After another glorious Super Bowl Sunday has come and gone, and it was a great one, I thought it would be interesting to throw out a few suggestions.

This was the 42nd time this game has been played, and for the past 15-20 the formula has remained the same.

I know the networks have billions invested in the game, so changing it might not be the wisest thing to do. But it is at least interesting to talk about.

Changes

1. Move the game to Saturday.
    Why does the game have to be played on Sunday? Half of America is hung over today or sleepy in their chairs at school. Let everyone stay up and enjoy the game, not have to race to bed (East Coast) when it ends.

2. Get rid of 80 percent of the pregame show.
    Think of a yearly event that could be done before the big game that everyone would enjoy watching, but it needs to be football related. I do not have an answer for this, but I know you can only do so many features on the game itself. Maybe NFL Films could create a 90 minute movie that chronicles the season up to the point of the Super Bowl?

3. More legends
    Seeing Staubach and Lott was awesome last night. You gotta work the legends more into the game.

That's all I got for now.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Execute the losers.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Make the Hall of Fame announcement during the pre-game show. Maybe two hours before the game.

Moving the game to Saturday sounds good on the face of it, but pro football is a Sunday game.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re: 2 . . .

Ya don't have to watch.

Ad sales, ad sales, ad sales.

5. 93Devil

You are right about Sunday, and I will argue for the Friday high school, Saturday college and Sunday pro arrangement.

But Sunday football was intended to be played in the daytime. I remember the Steelers starting against the Rams at 1 p.m. on the East Coast.

6. 93Devil

I like the HOF idea.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

NO way will they move SB to Saturday.

I like the idea on the Hall of Fame.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The game was over by 10 pm on the East Coast. That's not horribly late, as compared to NBA Finals, Stanley Cup Finals or World Series games.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I like your Saturday idea, or I'd like to see it as part of a three-day weekend. Unfortunately the MLK holiday is too early for the Super Bowl and President's Day (does anybody get that day?) is too late.

Hank does make a good point.

10. Exactly.

I turned on the game at 6:17 p.m.

Didn't miss a thing.

11. 93Devil

[/quote]

Exactly.

I turned on the game at 6:17 p.m.

Didn't miss a thing.
    [/quote]

I didn't either, but the pregame show seems like such a monumental waste of time and effort.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Forget moving the game to Saturday. Move President's Day (a made-up holiday that I don't get off anyway) to the day after the Super Bowl.

I'm not worried about the pregame fluff since you don't have to watch it if you don't want to. An NFL films show about the season would be excellent, though.

I say have the Super Bowl played in the city of the team with the best record, a true home game. It'll never happen and the NFL would argue that there isn't enough time to plan the "logistics," but they'd be lying. I know the NFL wants all the rich folks to party in good weather, but it's the only major professional championship decided at a neutral site. It's stupid.

EDIT: expendable beat me to the President's Day idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted