1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suggestions for my next trips west

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Amy, Jul 13, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I still think about the bone marrow I ate a couple of years ago at the Copper Onion in Salt Lake City. Everything was delicious.

The Copper Onion - Great family resaurant in Utah with a stunning menu.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The Polygamy Porter is pretty good.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you are still planning the Glacier run in September - the Avalanche Lake trail is pretty amazing. Not too taxing, but uphill and the end (the lake) are incredible. Won't spoil it with a picture.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I almost got into a physical altercation with a girls basketball coach from Chinle because he didn't like a headline we ran in the paper. Dude actually slapped the tape recorder out of my hand. It was super weird.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sounds like you did get in a physical altercation. I'd have been hard-pressed not to slug him for that.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good point. Meant to say fistfight, ha.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Bring some home for the wives!

Vombatus likes this.
  8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

9406F6BA-5D49-4955-8997-DC1DCFFB759E.jpeg
    One of my favorite photos from the trip - sunrise at Monument Valley.

Thanks so much for the suggestions of Mesa Verde and Canyon de Chelly. Everything about Mesa Verde was fantastic, especially once I got used to the drive up and down the mesas. I think a tour of the canyon floor is a must at Canyon de
    Chelly. I would not have had the same feel for it from only doing the rim drives, much less realized people still lived in the canyons.

I could have skipped Canyonlands and Natural Bridges. As stupid and tacky and a little awful as Four Corners was, glad I stopped.

I did bail part way through a last minute decision to add a visit to Hovenweep. The road signs all said I was going the right way but my signal for GPS was spotty, the last road was full of nasty potholes and I hadn’t seen another vehicle for a long time.

Also changed plans when icy, snowy weather came in the day of my drive to the North Rim and worse the day of the drive to Bryce. The roads within the north rim park were already closed, which I took as a message that go home early.

ChrisLong, HC, Vombatus and 1 other person like this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Really nice photo.

Draft saved Draft deleted