1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suggestions for headline fonts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DrewWilson, Jul 17, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If you work with the Poynter Institute, their font group is about as attractive a headline -- and body -- font as I've seen. Loads of variety, too.

For good bold hits, look into Benton. But the condensed versions, not the regular. Their regular looks like something from a fourth-grade newspaper.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We use Minion Display or Semibold for most headlines, and Franklin Gothic Condensed or Extra Condensed for our bold, newsy, sans serif font. I like them pretty well.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm a big fan of the Franklin Gothic Condensed, but some of its deviations I'm no fan of (Danville, I know, uses a lot of whatever the fat one is and that's grosser than gross). Franklin Gothic Extra Condensed (think Onion headline font) isn't much better. The safer, the better.

4. donaugust

donaugust Member

Oh yes, good point.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Helvetica is a sign of laziness.

http://bancomicsans.com/

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Impact.

Times capped and/or italicized.

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Photina looks nice.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'll go on record saying I don't like Impact. Maybe it's because it's so popular. It's not a bad font, really, I just don't like it as much as some others.

Draft saved Draft deleted