1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suggestions for dealing with a schizo puppy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Dec 3, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

The hell with that. Re-post this everytime the fucking asshole posts, to confirm yet again why he's the biggest piece of shit on this board.

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Crate training, crate training, crate training.

A crate will become a dog's safe spot, where nothing can happen to it. Hiding in or under something like a bed or a coffee table makes it feel like there's safety; that there's a roof over them. That's not your fault.

I have partial custody of a dog that was rescued in February. Coming out of the shell takes time and patience.

Reading list:
    "The Latchkey Dog"
    "Monks of New Skeet"

Good luck and congrats on saving a wonderful animal. Finding its wonderfulness takes time, and I wish you all the luck and patience in the world. Even having Grady part of the time is incredibly wonderful for me.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

hondo and dyepack--I sincerely wish and hope that you two have lost the ability to reproduce.

If one of your children would happen to make a mess, I know the first things through you sick bastard's minds would be to execute them.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Have you tried dragging the dog out of its hiding spot and striking it repeatedly with a stick?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Some good advice there. Thanks, Fever. We've blocked up most of the furniture and tried putting her on a leash out in the yard (mainly so she wouldn't jump the fence or hide behind the bushes), but every time the dog gets to the end of the leash or you start walking with her, she turtles up. Curls up in a ball and almost seems catatonic for a while.
    And we're trying to balance affection with non-affection for now. Talking sweet to her, but giving her space when she doesn't seem interested. Or when we get bored and want to watch TV (or just tired of laying on the floor trying to coax her out from under the bed).
    Hopefully, we're doing something right. She seems a little more responsive today even though, outside of a few trips to the food bowl, she's been under the bed since I made the first post last night.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Have you tried banging pots and pans or honking an air horn?

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Somehow I missed this bit of idiocy.

Just to spell it out -- that post was not at all serious.

8. And we were all rolling with laughter.

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I forwarded your post to the good folks at the animal shelter where I volunteer, and will PM you with their replies. We deal with <i>a lot</i> of former fighting dogs, some of which just can't be transformed into house pets. It seems like yours might have been bait. :mad:

I'm definitely cat people, but my top-of-the-head advice is to keep the dog in a smaller space for a little while. It's similar to crate training, but doesn't require buying the crate. Do you have a room with minimal furniture or hiding places? It might make it easier for the dog to adjust to being in a home, rather than a shelter or wherever s/he was before. (By the way, have you asked the shelter about the dog's history? It might help you and/or a trainer tailor a better solution.)

I also agree with the suggestion to ignore some of the dog's "bad" behavior, particularly hiding, to avoid encouraging it.

Be patient and kind, and hopefully the dog will learn that you're worth trusting.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What he said. You need to get a crate. Not only will it help you to house break the dog but it will also give the puppy a place where he will feel safe.

Puppy should sleep in crate at night and also be kept in crate when unattended.

Its not cruel. Dogs view their crate as the home or cave.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

squirt gun?

Or is that something that works on cats?

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

[​IMG]

I recommend buying this: "Dissing Your Dog: how to train your puppy with mockery and verbal humiliation"

Oh no, no, no, Humphrey, don't get up. You just stay there, relax. After all, you did put in a long day of work at a demanding high-stress job. Oh no, wait a minute, that's me! Now I remember! I'm the one with the job. You're the one who lies around the house all day in a pool of your own slobber!

Remember: there's one thing stronger than a dog's sense of smell - his sense of irony.

Draft saved Draft deleted