1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suggestion from a publisher

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 11, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just make sure the same criteria applies to your police reporter when he/she is doing a drug bust/murder story.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

nicely played.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You guys DO know that there are some newbies visiting here who would actually ACT on that advice ... don't you?

;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;)

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

X,

If you're in the weekly newspaper business, chances are you're in what my publisher used to call the "refrigerator news" business. And in that business, names mean a great deal.

If a kid got drafted and the community weekly didn't include the parents' names, I'd worry.

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I am the sports editor. There is no editor or managing editor, just one cityside reporter and a cityside columnist. The publisher decides essentially everything that gets into the paper.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Save your arrows for another day.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

I'd just once, just once, like to find a publisher who truly understands journalism.

8. My only response: you better hope to God your publisher doesn't read this website. :-\

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

10. printdust

printdust New Member

White-brained goes along to get along rather than stand on principles.

Is it not clear to you based on the threads on the subject that most people think that publishers don't?

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Better still, how many of them come from editorial divisions - most are publishing or advertising execs.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

While I'd like it for my publisher to understand the editorial side of the office (or at least acknowledge that our job is more than to provide filler for unsold ad space), at every full-time job I've had, the publisher is a lot more responsible for money decisions than news decisions. So in that case, I have no qualms with having a business/ad person there.

Draft saved Draft deleted