1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sucks To Be A Virginia Driver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Damn right. :D

2. fanboy

fanboy Member

I think Ben is confusing the good people of Maryland with those of Virginia.

The next time a Marylander stays to the right when he's going slow will be the first time.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

imagine my surprise when i discovered this thread wasn't about it sucking to be a vagina diver.

wow.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Whoa, whoa. If I'm from Virginia, I don't give a <i> shit </i> about the penalties. I can avoid the crimes. No, I have a serious problem with funding a massive road bill on the back of lawbreakers. What kind of fucking funding is that? A road project that <i> relies </i> on illegal behavior? Are you kidding me? What if the fines clean up driving in Virginia to such an extent that there's not enough money to fund the project? What then? <i> Oh, fuck it, raise taxes? <i>

It should never, not ever be the aim of the government to depend on bad drivers. They should promote responsibility, and nothing more. They should not so explicitly capitalize on reckless driving.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

fanny . . . no, t'aint confused . . . Virginians have, f'rinstance, retired the trophy for driving 12 miles under the speed limit while in the passing lane . . . they've captured that title, by acclimation . . .

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i guess you've never been to florida

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Alma, that's a great theory. But in reality, I don't much care how it gets done. They already throw a billion or two at it, and that's just enough to maintain the status quo (which, as most of us know, sucks). The Commonwealth will be throwing a sizeable amount of dough into the still-in-the-planning-stage mass transit rail to Dulles project, too. Plus they (understandably) have to worry about traffic in Hampton Roads and Richmond, too, though I would argue our problems are considerably more dire.

There's never enough money to do what really needs to be done around here. And if the dinero has to come through reckless drivers, so be it. And trust me, the supply will never dry up.

At least they're trying something. Yeah, it'd be nice to have a larger, dedicated source of funding, but that'll never happen as long as the rest of the state fucking hates us.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Problem in Florida -- and Arizona -- is all the q-tips driving 12 in the 30 zones, because they can
    barely see over the wheel.

That's an age-demographic problem . . . not a condemnation of the broad populace.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i used to think the same thing, but i've lived in florida now for a little over three years and i've been surprised to learn that the 'q-tips' are really only a problem in small pockets where the old folks are concentrated.

non q-tips are a far greater problem. it's fucking terrifying on some roads and i'm not a timid person or timid driver. you can't drive a half mile on any major street or highway without seeing one of those 'in memory' gravepost thingies on the side of the road. floridians, especially cubans, have a sense of entitlement that i have never seen in any ethnic group. it is NEVER their fault. ever. they think they can do anything they want because rules don't apply to them. it's really incredible. combine what with shoddily maintained roads and the general asshole factor down here and driving is a frightening experience.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Former Virginia driver here. I agree.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Who the hell's going over 80 miles an hour at $3.00 a gallon? I love to go fast and even I'm popping it up to about 72 and leaving it there in 65 MPH zones. And lemme give a shout out to my home state of Pensylvania for having the most dumbassery per-capita behind the wheel. As a whole we:

* - slow down for tunnels, because haven't learned in the past 60 years that the car will indeed fit through that space in the side of the mountain.

* - zip along at 56 miles per hour in the left hand lane with nothing in the right hand lane.

* - Can't merge to save a life. No one moves over to the left hand lane when they have room and people just pull out and rely on you to be paying attention.

* - Pittsburgh has the second-highest amount of geezers only to Dade County, Florida. It's not uncommon to see a mint condition powder blues 1985 Buick LeSabre with a view from behind of four snowballs doing 27 on a two lane road that's 40 MPH. Then they finally get to Denny's an take a week and a half to make the RIGHT-HANDED TURN into the parking lot.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I heard Wlat's an excellent driver.

Draft saved Draft deleted