1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sucks To Be A Virginia Driver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pursuit, but your point is valid.

I don't see a need to drive more than 80. If you stay under 80 - as someone said above - you should be fine.
    My son bitched about a speeding ticket once and I gave him my best fatherly advice.
    Don't speed.

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Devil's right on. Additionally, there was an accident that killed four girls who were either in college or had just graduated HS (like that day), caused by a quick weave in front of a semi who had nowhere to go. Though alcohol seems to have played a major factor in that wreck too.

I've seen people act like I'm doing 55 when I'm doing 75, so hopefully it's those people that get nailed (says the perennial speeder).

3. i don't see what's wrong with these fines

might get some assholes to drive safer

might save some lives

4. lono

lono Active Member

I thought this thread was going to be about Ward Burton.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Perhaps the writer forgot the decimal between 7 and 8.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Exactly. Are they eye-opening numbers? Yep.
    But clearly the $75-$150 fine isn't changing anything.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

These fees don't have anything to do with due process. You still can argue your case in court and pursue it.

The fines are pretty steep, but don't break the law and it won't affect you.

I believe D.C. may have the worst traffic and some of the worst drivers I ever have seen.

8. fanboy

fanboy Member

One of the problems with is is that Reckless Driving is a really broad charge in Virginia. It's not just about speeding 80 or above. Improper lane changing could be construed as Reckless if the cop wanted to push it. I know someone who went off the road after a blowout and was charged with it even though there was no evidence they were speeding because of some provision in the law that gave a cop too much discretion.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I got pulled over once for "reckless driving" because I was changing lanes a lot. But I was only going five over the speed limit, and I never went in front of a car until I could see its headlights in my rearview mirror and some space between us. Didn't get a ticket, but I was really confused as to what I could do differently.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Outrageous.

But I'll say this:

I've done a TON of driving, throughout our fair land . . .

And without a doubt . . . judging by the plates borne by all the cars whose actions I've observed, over all these years . . .

AS A GROUP (and you may be an exception) . . .

Virginia drivers are the worst . . . simplest . . . most OBLIVIOUS drivers in the lower 48 . . .

. . . by a WIDE, WIDE margin.

I see a Virginia plate when I'm in a tight spot . . . I cringe.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I think I'm a good driver. I've gotten one speeding ticket in my life, I haven't had an accident, not even minor, in at least 9 years.

But yes, I'd agree with you. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten out of my car cursing the people I have to drive around on my way to work. Unbelievable.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As for the big cities . . .

. . . (and both talent pools boast talents that have been honed by years of sustained challenges) . . .

As a group, Boston drivers are SUPERB.

And Chicagoans are pretty goddamn good.

Draft saved Draft deleted