1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sucks To Be A Virginia Driver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR2007062201781.html?hpid=topnews

And I've now added that to the list of states I may never be able to live in the rest of my life again, just in case. And I have a great driving record right now, but still. This is obscene.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Man that's insane! At what point does it become cruel or unusual?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not to worry. Texas beat Virginia by at least two years. It'll be that much sooner this gets struck down by SCOTUS. Not even Scalito would agree this is due process.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

There is certainly an element of bullshit in this, but if you don't drive 20 mph over the limit or commit any other serious infractions, then it really shouldn't be a problem for you.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Hee hee... when you look at this topic from the main board it's abbreviated to "Sucks to be a Virgin..."

6. pallister

pallister Guest

With my driving record, I should probably stay out of Virginia.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Exactly. The key point here is that it doesn't apply to out-of-state drivers ticketed in Virginia.

That said, I have no problem at all with a punishing fine for first-conviction DUI.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yes, but at least they didn't raise taxes...

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hey, someone go mess with the gal who blew .50 and tell her to move to the Commonwealth...she's probably still drunk...

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

80 mph is not uncommon on 95.

In fact, so many people do it, you do not get caught. It's the people going 90 and over that get zapped. More accidents are caused by people weaving around people doing 65 (the speed limit) than people driving faster but driving straight forward.

We have had a couple nasty fatal wrecks here involving tracktor trailers in the past few months, but the real bad one was caused by a cop chasing a motorcycle.

The cycle was pulled over and fled. In the persuit, the cop clipped a car and the hit car went airborn from the outer loop to the inner loop and into oncoming traffic. I think five people died and 15 or so were injured. It was a complete fubar by the cop.

They did a crackdown on 95 this weekend and I saw four people pulled over and two other cops in a 14 MILE STRETCH!!!

Yeah, Virginia roads need some help.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

95 in Virginia is bad. 81 is worse. Two lanes in bad shape and many, many trucks. Every car and truck is many miles from their destination, and driving like it.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Oh you have to love the Communistwealth of Virginia, the state that banned radar detectors. The problem on the Virginia interstates is not Virginia drivers for the most part. Case in point: I've tried, but I've never, NEVER been able to pass a car with Maryland plates on a clear stretch of interstate.

Draft saved Draft deleted