1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sucks or overplayed?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh for Pete's sake, it's shorthand. And it has nothing to do with ownership but the way it is programmed. Local stations (even those owned by a corporation) have DJs in town; "corporate" stations don't.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What he's referring to as corporate is the national companies like Clear Channel that owns thousands of stations and pretty much monopolizes the airwaves (thanks deregulation) with its same 30 songs over and over. As opposed to,the few Mom and Pop stations that are locally owned, but may or may not mix things up. Tha national companies don't necessarily have to be publicallly traded. It could be one guy owning a whole bunch of stations.

Oh, and Exhibit G: Faith

Exhibit H: Don't You Want Me

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

"Free Bird!"

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It's definitely a fine line. I listen to Backspin, the classic hip-hop station on S/XM quite a bit, but I have heard some of the classics ... "Children's Story," "The Message," "Rapper's Delight" ... that I change the station when a lot of them come on. They still play a pretty good mix, but there are a lot of songs I have loved in the past that I don't want to hear so often anymore.

I really don't understand the DMB hate either. Matthews seems like douche, but they are a great band and are excellent live. Not my favorite band, but I don't get the harsh criticism. But I have a similar hate for U2, who it seems everyone else loves. And I have seen them live too. To each his own, I guess.

5. joe

joe Active Member

U2 is an immediate station change. Bono's self-importance comes through the speakers, and I just want to slap the shit out of him.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Exhibit I: With Or Without You

Exhibit J: Take Me Home Tonight by Eddie Money

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It's ignorant. It displays a teenager's view of things. Say "publicly traded company" or "large out of state company."

8. Inky_Wretch

No, it's exactly as I described it. People understand what you mean when somebody says "corporate radio" and they know you're talking about programming, not LLCs.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The switch to PPMs instead of diaries has altered the business dramatically. Now stations format their programming for 10 min. "bites" which is why you get more teasers going into commercials, more topics per hour on a talk stations, more familiar songs and artists no matter what the format.

http://www.seattleweekly.com/2012-07-04/music/the-meter-s-running/

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

No, it's lazy, incorrect, and borne of ignorance, but keep it up.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Jeez, get the stick outta yer ass.

12. Inky_Wretch

Perhaps it's actually a rod. Maybe he'll correct you.

Draft saved Draft deleted