1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sucks or overplayed?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Fiesta"?

2. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

I remember getting sick of hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit and Enter Sandman when they came out. Both tremendous songs, but when they're being overplayed just about everyone is going to get sick of them. Then some time passes and the next time you hear it, you're thrilled.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've given up on local stations. My morning background is KONI from Maui on Tune-In Radio. Good 70s-80s pop, and you feel Mauish.

I have loved the Eagles, but all their big hits are overplayed. Everywhere.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Your honor, as exhibit A for overplayed, I submit into evidence, "Carry On Wayward Son".

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Up until a few years ago I would have said Dust in the Wind was the one that was way overplayed, but it's flipped.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

"The Body of an American" It's the type of job that leaves you fried at the end of the shift.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Exhibit B: "Harden My Heart"

Exhibit C: "Father Figure"

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Quarterflash had three damn good songs. :)

9. joe

joe Active Member

We have Sirius/XM in our main car, and the Lithium station plays the same six or seven Pearl Jam songs nearly nonstop. If I never hear Jeremy, Black, Even Flow and Once again, that would be just fine by me. Christ, there are other songs on Ten; play a few.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Exhibit D: Kissed by a Rose

Exhibit E: If I Lay Here

Exhibit F: Boys are Back in Town

11. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I think that is because Sirius has to pay for each song it plays so it buys a limited number of licenses each month. Some months you hear the same song over and over again, the next month you don't hear it at all because they didn't license it.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Can people stop with this lazy and incorrect claim? All radio stations (and newpapers) are owned by a corporation or LLC or partnership, or whatever limited liability entity. The legal structure of the company you are referring to is irrelevant. What you mean is either some publicly trade company or a company that is not local. The fact it may be a corporation is meaningless to your criticism.

Draft saved Draft deleted