1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sucks or overplayed?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of my favorite radio formats of late has been the JACK FM format. It's basically every relevant pop song from 1980 to 2014 thrown into a blender. You might hear Metallica's "Enter Sandman," a Prince song, Celine Dion and three random 80s songs in any given hour. There's also a country version that recently replaced our local JACK outlet. Same concept, and it's actually pretty cool to hear some of the old school stuff.
    They're great stations that you can just leave on as background noise all day, wherever you are. No idea what the ratings are, but since JACK came and went twice within a year in our market, maybe there's something to the idea that people like familiarity.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've always thought the best song off Cracked Rear View was most people never heard.

Not Even The Trees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89LRsMkGKQ4&feature=kp

The Earth Stopped Cold At Dawn is also a good one too. The great Nancy Griffin sang harmony on a couple Hootie songs, and she's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoHcWbb_cPM

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Hannah Jane is probably my favorite.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Darius Rucker has done well for himself. I'll never get tired of listening to his cover of "Wagon Wheel."

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Fairytale of New York. A lovely, bittersweet ballad that I've heard just enough now to hate Christmas, Ireland, drinking, Manhattan and the boys of the NYPD Choir.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You can't be serious, can you? That cover is putrid, and completely unnecessary, considering the original is very good.

I was a freshman in college when Cracked Rear View came out. Liked pretty much every song save for Only Wanna Be With You, which was pure dreck. Then Hootie put out a second album that sounded completely like the first, and I lost interest. No growth at all.

7. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

When did the DMB hate start?

A little more than a decade ago he was selling out football stadiums.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Still can.

9. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Yeah, there aren't many bands or singers who can make that claim. I'd be surprised if there are more than 10 (not counting reunion tours) who can consistently sell out football stadiums.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't have much use for Dave Matthews, but I don't hate his stuff the way I hate Hootie.

That Pogue's tune is pretty old. What are you listening to that it's overplayed. I never hear it unless I play it.

As for 'Wagon Wheel,' how many covers have come out since the Old Crow cover? There have to be three or four covers of that song in the past 10 years.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's a fantastic song. But I have a part-time job where an all-80s station is on all the time. Apparently, they only recorded a total of 30 songs during the entire decade.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Wow, that still seems like an odd choice, even for an 80s station.
    How about 'Dirty Old Town'?

Draft saved Draft deleted