1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sucker Artists Wanted At The Great Cheap Lady

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ben_Hecht, Feb 8, 2012.

1. I will honestly probably start drawing ridiculous comics and sending them in with hopes that one day someone on their cartoon desk (?) will see some accidental bit of genius and I can finally put NYT cartoonist on my resume. To be fair, I have no drawing ability and will spend no more than three minutes on any of the submissions.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Next day at The New Yorker

Mr. Elinoff: So, J. Peterman wants to hire some of our cartoonists to illustrate your catalog?

Elaine: Well we're hoping that if perhaps that the catalog is a little funnier ,people won't be so quick to return the clothes ha ha....For example.. I..I really do....Well I love this one

Elaine shows him the cartoon

Mr. Elinoff: Oh! yeah... That's a rather clever jab at inter office politics don't you think.

Elaine: Ahan, Ahan....yeah...Euh but, Why is it that the, that the animals enjoy reading the email?

Mr. Elinoff: Well Miss Benes . Cartoons are like gossamer and one doesn't dissect gossamer. heh..hemm..

Elaine; Well you don't have to dissect if you can just tell me. Why this is suppose to be funny?

Mr. Elinoff: Ha! It's merely a commentary on contemporary mores. (slides the magazine to her)

Elaine: But, what is the comment. (she slides the magazine back to him)

Mr. Elinoff: It's a slice of life.

Elaine: No it isn't.

Mr. Elinoff: Pun?

Elaine: I don,t think so.

Mr Elinoff: Vorshtein?

Elaine: That's not a word.....You have no idea what this means do you?

Mr Elinoff: No.

Elaine: Then why did you print it.

Mr. Elinoff: I liked the kitty.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Doesn't make it wrong, either. Every day we rarely purchase the most expensive product but instead seek the greatest value. It's why we buy 13 GM cars for every one Mercedes-Benz. NYT figures they stand a good chance at getting good value from that $250 every week.

I wouldn't, but others would. I wouldn't like to stand in line at every American Idol audition, either. But others would.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that the NY Times hold an American Idol-style cartoon-off with the winner getting a Mercedes-Benz?

I think that would make everyone happy.

Draft saved Draft deleted