1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

suck on that, somali pirates!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jps, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Supposedly the reason cargo ships don't arm their crew is that it would void their insurance policy on the ship.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You would think arming the crew (or hiring somebody) would be seen as an extra insurance policy ..

Fuck it. Put some Q-ships down there. If you're a pirate, are you getting a cargo you can resell/ hold hostage ... or are you getting a bait boat with armed mercenaries just waiting for you?

3. Armchair_QB

You would. Insurance companies don't apparently.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

Ah, but see my edit.

Funny ... you always struck me as a shoot-first kind of guy. :D

5. Armchair_QB

Oooh, I like that idea. "Hijack THIS bitch!

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When you care enough to hire the best.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

In light of recent events, I guarantee you Insurance companies will soon be re-writing that portion of their policies. And the new policy of ships firing back will put a quick end to the Somali piracy epidemic.

8. I wouldn't count on that.
    The reason insurance companies frown on armed crews is that the crews on these ships aren't necessarily made up entirely of the most stable of our fellow citizens.

9. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

This week's South Park was about Somali Pirates... pretty damn funny.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/225091/

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

There are also ports in countries around the world where bringing weapons into port -- not even necessarily taking them off the boat -- is seen as an act of aggression and worthy of getting you locked up in some of the finest jails on the planet.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Earlier this year, pirates got a ransom drop by air in exchange for a tanker, but their getaway boat capsized and several pirates drowned. The families collected the cash as it washed ashore with the bodies, where they were reported to be drying out the bills.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Pirates rounded up by the Spanish Navy, turned over to the Seychelles Coast Guard.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090428/ap_on_re_af/piracy_30

Draft saved Draft deleted