1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suck it Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Apr 9, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Why does Micorsoft want a sub-par search engine in the first place? I mean, a hostile takeover of Yahoo! would help them corner a huge chunk of the online e-mail universe, but that hardly seems worth it. I don't know. I just don't get it...

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yahoo is now a content producer. They do their own, sometimes very good, news and sports coverage. They also own Rivals.com if I'm not mistaken.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And Microsoft is a software company. Makes perfect sense.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yahoo and AOL merging is like Times Mirror and Tribune or Knight Ridder and McClatchy joining forces -- marriages between dinosaurs.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Or like AOL and Time Warner.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

AOL is a dinosaur (which is probably why it's not an online service anymore). Yahoo just needs to refine its focus.

Yahoo-AOL makes more sense than Microsoft-Yahoo.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

How much of a money-maker are fantasy games for Yahoo?

9. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Huge, I'd imagine. They sell leagues and StatTracker. With baseball, you're talking about daily visits from more than a million people. That number is just an estimate. I don't know whether it's accurate. Yahoo has hired many experienced and talented newspaper people. I don't know how AOL fits into things, but it should add value. I suspect in five years we'll have us a Disney vs. Yahoo battle for the WWW.

Draft saved Draft deleted