1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suck it, In-N-Out, Culver's rules!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jack_Kerouac, Sep 19, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

:mad:

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The only good part of my 14-month sentence at the San Gabriel Valley Tribune was the In-N-Out across the street from the parking lot. THE original In-N-Out.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It's:
    1) In N Out
    2) Kopp's
    3) Culver's

For the Milwaukee paper to run an item about best burgers and NOT to mention local champion Kopp's is heresy. I know the writer was just citing someone else's survey, but it's another Wisconsin-based frozen custard 'n' burgers chain (small). If you haven't had burger from Kopp's -- about the diameter of a volleyball -- you need to do a road trip. Seriously.

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Until this year I've only been to a Culver's and thought it was awesome but had my first In N Out burger at spring training. Not even close. One of the things I'm looking forward to in a trip to San Diego in December is another stop or two there.

Red Robin clearly No. 3.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fuddrucker's trumps all. Yeah, I said it.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I can only deal with Buttfucker's once a year, if that. It's one of those places that seems like it'd be really good, and then it ends up not being.

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Joe, personally, I agree with you. Hung out at Kopp's pretty much every night throughout high school and consumed many of their burgers. My dad is friends with Carl Kopp from high school, so we were always a Kopp's family -- none of the Gillies or Oscar's crap.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Their shakes are good, but the food is mediocre.

9. Fatburger.

End of Thread.

10. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Culvers is good... but it's no In-N-Out.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Why do you hurt me, IJAG?

Fuddruckers anecdote: During college, I spent a summer in an areal ecology and areal geology class. We spent five weeks traveling from the Pittsburgh area out to Yellowstone and back. We stopped at various state and national parks along the way, trapping small animals for surveys, doing tree surveys and digging soil pits.
    The unwritten requirement was — if you wanted an A you had to not only ace the material you also had to stay up boozing with the two professors every night.
    After night after night of hard drinking, we'd have to get up at the crack of dawn to do the field work. It was brutal.
    Think about getting up at 5 a.m. with a bone-crushing hangover, hauling yourself out to some godforsaken section of prairie to dig a 6-foot pit until lunch. Then when we felt sure we were about to die at age 19, the profs would haul us off to a Fuddruckers and taunt us if we didn't scarf down a half-pound of rare hamburger meat.
    Then it was back out to the prairie, in the July heat, to dig some more, with a horrible hangover and a belly full of undigested, half-raw meat.
    Glory days.

12. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Clearly you are delusional.

Draft saved Draft deleted