1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Successful "Soft" HCs in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jan 16, 2013.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

OK, I get the puppies, but poisoning whatnots? That's just despicable.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Marv Levy II, with the Bills. Seemed to have a reasonable grip on reality.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well, if you were an average, role player he was a hard ass. Different rules for super stars, but that's damn near every coach. But your rank and file player wasn't getting away with much.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Do NOT fuck with HC.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, but he pushed even the stars hard when necessary. Just not as concerned with what they did off the field.

Bill Cowher might be a good one. He was another one who had "soft" practices. If I remember correctly, that was an issue in Tomlin's first season. He went out of his way to push the players a lot harder in practice than Cowher had done.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, those are the marriage vows I've written for JR should the day ever come ...

7. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

He hasn't coached since 1985, so things are obviously quite different, but Bud Grant, under whom Trestman got his start, was in some ways a "soft" coach as we're using the term - shorter training camps and easier practices, and a reputation as being easy to play for. He was also weird about some things, such as no spiking the ball, only black shoes, and practicing how they lined up for the national anthem (just imagine how those things would go over in an NFL locker room today), and locked horns with some of his players - Alan Page in particular.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And no sideline heater in the winter.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Depends on your definition of "successful," but Jerry Glanville seemed pretty easy-going and likeable (to everyone but Chuck Noll, I guess).

10. sportbook

sportbook Member

I think Dungy's different because he's so well respected by players. There's something to be said for a coach that players just don't want to let down. That's more commanding than soft.

Draft saved Draft deleted