1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Subway to begin serving pizza; Dunkin' Donuts to follow?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.brandweek.com/bw/magazine/current/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003568684 (via Consumerist)

Pizza is coming to Subway. By June the largest restaurant franchise in the country will add deep-dish style personal pizza to the menu at 13,000 U.S. stores. The introduction will place even more heat on Pizza Hut and Domino's Pizza, both of which saw sales cool off in 2006.
    "Fresh from the oven in 90 seconds, personal pizza topped your way."
    Subway's addition of pizza is not without precedence. McDonald's has been testing pizzas off and on for years. Panera Bread Co. offers pies after 4 p.m. Dunkin' Donuts is testing individual pizzas at four locations; Dunkin' Deli locations also offer "Pizzettas."

"Pizza is the most competitive category in fast food," said Bob Sandelman, CEO at food service research firm Sandelman & Associates, San Clemente, Calif. "There are not only the chains, but also local competition from mom and pops and regional players."
    The thick-crusted personal pizzas are prebaked at central locations and shipped to nearby stores. Basic pies will go for $2.99. Additional toppings, such as pepperoni, sausage or meatballs, are an extra dollar. Vegetables and extra cheese are free.

"After you eat this you won't go back to Pizza Hut," the Subway employee in New York boasted.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I saw a subway with it the other day and thought it odd...
    And for me to go back to Pizza Hut would require me to have gone to Pizza Hut first

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It says McDonald's had been testing pizzas but I remember them here in Canada. Do they sell them anywhere in the uS?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The McDonald's experiment with pizza up here was a disaster.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Excuse me sir, but you live in New York. Why the fuck would you ever go to Pizza Hut or eat the pizza served at Subway?

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Subways here have been serving pizza for almost a year.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    Cherish what you have.
    Some day you could be trapped in California, where you can't get a decent pizza, where they want to put mayo-mustard-pickles on a hoagie, where you can't get a good bagel, where they're afraid of any crust on a roll or bread.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Well, there is an Olive Garden and a California Pizza Chicken in Manhatten

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes, there are tons of chain restaurants in Manhattan. That doesn't mean they are the best options.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There's also the Original Rays at 11th Street and 6th Avenue (don't be fooled by 100 other Rays that stole their name), even though I haven't eaten a slice from there in a long, long time, and one slice would exceed the amount of dairy I ate in the entire last year. Damn, though, I am feeling weak as hell right now. I used to live for slices from that place.

There's also Ben's on W. 4th and McDougal if you get to Rays a little too late. Ben's is open later. Not quite on the same level, but a better slice than you can find in 99 percent of the rest of the world.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

True story. I went to Subway on Saturday - after standing in line for 25 min. at the Honeybaked Ham store to get a 10lb, $63 Easter ham, and the guy in front of me ordered a personal pizza. I had no idea Subway had pizza, BTW.

So this older gentleman in front of me orders a pizza. The Subway worker goes to pull the pizza out of the refrigerator and he drops it on the floor. No big deal - EXCEPT for the fact, he puts the pizza on the counter and acts like nothing happened! Before I totally flipped out, I noticed the pizza was wrapped in plastic, but STILL!!! The worker takes off the plastic and then asks the guy what toppings he wants. The guy ordering never flinched! I'm not too picky, but at least the worker could have put it back in the fridge and retrieved another pizza!!! But to take it right off the floor?!?!

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'll never understand chains straying from what made them popular.

Subway is a sandwich shop. It will always be a sandwich shop. The more time it spends on pizzas and soups and salads, the easier it is Quiznos, Firehouse Subs and Schlotzskys to eat into the market share.

Draft saved Draft deleted