1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Substitute Teaching

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Apr 8, 2009.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Anybody else get into this racket?

This is a pretty well-behaved class I got here right now. Only one kid driving me crazy.

Horror stories?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you are posting on SJ while doing it, it must be a good racket.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Yes, yes it is.
    Nothing to do today...they're taking science tests and I'm basically babysitting.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

You know, I've actually thought about that, for when the apocalypse really is now. That and truck driving school.
    My wife subbed while making the transition from journalism to teaching several years back. Problems: It didn't pay very well, even by newspaper standards, and 2. Some asshole was always calling at 5 in the morning to see if she wanted to work at such-and-such school that day.

5. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

They have an automated system where I live. They actually e-mail you and you can set up your availability online. It's a huge improvement.

If anyone is even remotely interested in teaching, I would definitely, definitely recommend subbing as much as you can. Not just to get a read on actually being in the classroom, but you can make some connections, too.

And, of course, it goes without saying that kids' behaviour varies wildly by location -- a babysitter one day, a prison guard the next.

6. I did it for a while after I finished college and before I found a real live job in journalism. In fact, I had already accepted a job as my old high school's in school suspension supervisor when I got the word that I had a newspaper job.

Two big things I didn't like about it:
    1. Early, early start to the day. I was already on that 3 p.m.-Midnight like schedule that many of us are accustomed to, so being in the school building by 7:45 a.m. was tough. I'm not ashamed to admit this, but a couple of times during the teacher's prep period, I would close the door and take a short nap.

2. It could be extremely boring. A couple of times, I had to show the same movie (it was near the end of a semester, so it was like Shrek 2 or something) for six periods. I wised up later on and started taking in piles of magazines/books or even some freelance assignments I was working on to make those kinds of days go faster.

All in all, it was a mostly good experience. I had one horror day of a bunch of seventh graders who were horribly behaved. But, talking to other teachers in the building, that was commonplace for that group. High school kids never out and out misbehaved as I recall, they were just really lazy at times. So, I didn't care too much if they just slept rather than doing some worksheet, so we got along okay.

I did once sub two kids who were severely ADHD for half a day. That included following them into the regular classroom for "inclusion". After those four hours, I was exhausted.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Did it about 10 years ago for some extra $$$. Helped that I mostly did it at my old high school and for teachers who wanted me. And the school secretary would always set me up to where I could finish early (as in, got the "conference period" at the end of the day).

Pay was crap ($90 a day), but it helped with the bills back then.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The guy that I coach track with does in school suspensions, and it typically would be bad, but all the kids are track kids.

They know if they get in trouble they can just sleep for 3 hours or watch tv, because the sub doesn't care.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My uncle used to sub, until he got in a bit of trouble and the state revoked his teaching license.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Does Poindexter know your uncle?

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I've thought about substitute teaching from time to time, but I've always been worried that I might run into some doe-eyed Sabra in a seventh-grade classroom.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Beware the classrooms with this poster on the wall.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted