1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Subscribing to the New York Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

As long as he/she wasn't including the foo-foo theater listings in The New Yorker.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I get the Times and Wash Post delivered every day. I'm so spoiled. If they could just put the Post's Metro & Sports section in The Times, it would save some recycling. The Post's Op-Ed section has become too predictable and the international news is weak compared to the Times.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

How widespread does the Washington Post deliver? Nationally?

EDIT: I actually just checked out their Web site for the info. It's pretty awesome. You can buy an e-subscription to the print publication. You see all the pages in their entirety and can read it online like a real newspaper. I like that, because it gives me a better idea of story placement/importance, etc., etc., etc. Sometimes, that kind of stuff gets lost in the shuffle in perpetually updating Web pages. I don't necessarily consider myself someone who needs to know everything that happens as it happens. I like newspapers because they take a deep breathe and kind of let the pieces fall where they may every day. Then they sort things out for you.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I think e-editions like the one Pringle's describing are something every newspaper should look into. It just makes much more sense to offer subscribers access to a .pdf of every page in the newspaper than to force them to click a million links and read sometimes poorly formatted HTML pages.

The CS Monitor already offers this service, which I love. Plus, the .pdf of each paper is posted around 6 p.m. the night before, which is awesome. It's especially convenient since their mail delivery usually takes two days.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What about the Walter Reed story they just broke?

I put the Post's coverage of domestic issues and politics above the Times.

6. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

He said your wife's a pig. </the guy below>

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

NYT.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Why would anyone suscribe to a newspaper? You can get it all online for free.

... Oh shit, I probably shouldn't have gotten into this field.

9. accguy

accguy Member

I've never actually subscribed to the NYT, but have thought about getting at least the Sunday edition from time to time. I go through phases where I look at it quite about bit and then there are other times when I don't look at it very often.

Of late, I've been reading the WSJ quite a bit more. Both are very good, but I seem to find more interesting stories in WSJ on a daily basis than in the NYT. Some of that is that I'm not quite as interested in, say, the politics in Zimbabwe.

Somebody earlier said they don't like the NYT sports section. I actually like it quite a bit. I get the national edition where I live and there are always smart, interesting stories. I thought the story on BYU today was good, I just read the story in tomorrow's paper about college players wearing No. 0 was interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted