1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Subscribing to the New York Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Mar 13, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My wife has it delivered to our house over my mild objection.

How can it be so great? No funnies.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Which one? The Onion? The Economist? The NYT? The Onion actually does have cartoons now.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Man, you guys saw right through my brilliant scheme. I thought the Economist mention was slid in there sooooo subtly. Damn.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'd love to subscribe to the NYT and WSJ, but cannot get them until at least a day or two after publication via the mail.

So, it's online weekdays and a Sunday NYT for mega-reading during the week.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Or, you know, just curious and interested in the world around them.

Given that we have a president who couldn't have passed a seventh-grade current events pop quiz at the time of his election, I can understand why the sentiment exists, though.

(And, yes, I do know that you are well-informed, one of the most well-informed posters on the board).

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I quit subscribing when they missed delivery every other day.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Another hoot, linked on that same page: Thin, Attractive Woman Accepted For Who She Is.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I get the weekend Times, the only times I really have time to read it all (or even close to all) are on the weekends. Plus, that way I get online access to all the Times Select stuff, so I can read what I want at work during the week and get the archives. And that, in turn, lets me write it off on my taxes as a non-reimbursed business expense.
    But, like McNuggets Man, I love me some Wall Street Journal, every day.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A junior high school English teacher told us, if you want to consider yourself a true New Yorker, you have to read the Times and a tabloid every day and the New Yorker every week. I still do, although it is a chore to get through the NYT weekend sections and I have about 20 unread New Yorkers in my magazine rack.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sure this teacher wasn't a shill for one of those publications? That's a shameful amount of reading.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Might be a lot of reading but that teacher is right. It's my goal every week. Some weeks completing the New Yorker proves daunting - but well worth it.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What is it with the cartoons, though?

Draft saved Draft deleted