1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Subscribing to the New York Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

How many of you do? It just seems like the right thing to do if you're in this business - or like to be a well-informed American. So I'm seriously considering it. I wish the Washington Post delivered nationally, too.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do. Can't get the Plain-Dealer.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why do you need to subscribe when you can get it free on line?

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I used to subscribe to the weekend New York Times. I cancelled when the pile of sections on my living room floor waiting to be read got too tall and turned into an avalanche of newsprint. I signed up for several NYT e-newsletters, and still occasionally check out the sections online that I used to keep.

To answer two threads with one post, I don't subscribe to my own paper either. I don't live in the coverage area. I can't get the competition at home either. I read our website, (which seems to be all management really cares about anyway). Unfortunately, I think our lead web guy's going to the competition soon. ;D

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Usually there's a free one lying around at the Starbucks. That's right, I'm gaming the system.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's what you think. Their baiting you.

At the price you pay for the coffee, you could have the Times delivered by bikini models in Ferraris.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Ah, but I got to a Starbucks where they often screw up the order. I probably get a free drink coupon once every 10 visits. It's like a frequent drinkers club card, unless you're dishonest and evil, in which case it's buy one, get one.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I subscribe, largely because we didn't want to get the local papers and my wife wanted a paper. Before we moved, we had delivery issues, so I called to cancel a couple weeks ago.

I just zipped up yesterday. Got transferred to a supervisor who did everything but summon the bikini models to deliver... three free months, his extension in case there's any problems and on and on.

Apparently, even the NY Times is feeling the circulation pinch.

The Sunday paper is worth it by itself. LOVE the magazine, the week in review and the business sections. Lukewarm on the sports, except for select writers. Then again, you don't subscribe to the NY Times for the sports.

9. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

No home delivery for the Times in my neck of the woods...not missing anything by not getting it, anyway.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Listen to Rush much, do you?

11. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

No, dorkface, the only way I can get it is by mail two days after publication -- why would I want it by then? I also don't live anywhere near NY anymore, which is another reason. When I lived in Connecticut a few years back, I read it every Sunday, as did my wife, who's a native of Manhattan/Westchester. Great paper, yes, but when it's two days old it's worthy of the same spot as your local daily rag and Rush Limbaugh--catching gerbil turds.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I read it online on a daily basis, but I don't subscribe. There's often one sitting around the office, though, so I'll pick it up every chance I get.

My parents live in Georgia and they have been subscribers for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted