1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sublime or overwritten?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6243391

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Overwritten.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Unable to comment. Could not get past third graf.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Active Member

Initially I said overwritten, but after thinking about it, I guess he could be going for a Tom Wolfe-esque style of writing. But even when you account for the sort of gonzo-type descriptions and flowery language, it's still pretty overwritten. That says A LOT.

5. jlee

jlee Active Member

Not a big fan of MacGregor, so I obviously think it's overwritten, but it was still enjoyable and I'm glad I read it.

6. ringer

ringer Member

I thought it was spare and vivid, but the opening sentence didn't fit at all, so it got off to a pretentious and gratuitous start.

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Good subject, but yes, a little overcooked. Could have pulled back just a little bit. Just my opinion. I've been just as guilty on stories half as good.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

That's because the first three paragraphs were not in English.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Who is McGregor writing that for? The readers of ESPN.com? I doubt it.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Second paragraph just makes no sense to me. None. What's the big-T tournament?

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

He means "The Tournament" - i.e. the NCAA tournament. "Big-T" as in "upper-case T" versus "lower-case T."

Or possibly a Tecmo Bowl tournament.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Or as Hemingway said, in a lot less words, 'Anyone can be a fisherman in May.'

Draft saved Draft deleted