1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Subject line on e-mail from local police: "Request for Media Volunteer Drinkers"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by murphyc, Jan 26, 2010.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Don't know if anyone else's local police departments sent this or not. For some reason the subject line made me laugh. I'm thinking local authorities might get a few more volunteers than they are looking for. Here's the e-mail, with names of departments changed:

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Johnny Fever has already signed up.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cop's got a hat. I wanna hat too.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Too bad people in the media don't drink.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dammit Bob, you beat me to it. Classic.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

These events are pretty popular. The best I remember is a local station did a story on one and they interviewed a newspaper reporter there, a sports reporter, after.
    It was great. All slurring and rambling about how she was a girl and drank more than the boys.
    Utterly fantastic.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine knows someone on the local police force, and a few years back she got a bunch of us to be used as guinea pigs for the cadets in the academy when they learned how to spot drunks for field sobriety tests.

Basically, it meant the cops sent a squad car to our homes, drove us to the academy, got us loaded on their dime, let us walk the line a bunch of times for the new guys, and then drove us home.

It was great.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

How ironic, the KEYSTONE, police department. Is there a Budweiser police department as well?

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And no one asked me? Pshaw ...

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Sign me up....
    Do they let you drive home after this deal? ;D

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I once covered a story about this, although it was several members of the fire department who volunteered to drink under the cops' supervision.

Too bad, though, I would have volunteered, even though it would have been a conflict of interest. It might have been funny, though, to write the story while plastered.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I did this story years ago when I was starting out in the biz. I drink a pint of Jack Daniels. I took the test and passed. I was a bad example for the Police Explorers.

Draft saved Draft deleted