1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Style. Who decides?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Mar 13, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

So, here's how Canadian Press has decided to identify whether money is in US or Canadian dollars.

Joe Blow signed a US$12 million contract today.

Anyone else think this is idiotic?

If this were reported on the TV it would be said as "Joe Blow signed a twelve million US dollar contract today." Or "Joe Blow signed a contract worth $12 million US dollars, today."

So why wouldn't newspapers print $12 US million at the very least?!

This drives me nuts. Who decides this shit?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Must be one of those French things.

They have a tendency to take an adjective from its "normal" spot and move it somewhere awkward.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I think that's how most international media refer to foreign currency. The Economist uses C$ for Canadian dollars and A$ for Australian dollars. It uses $ for U.S. dollars.

4. T2

T2 Member

Right, it's just the way these things are done in the world of finance. Although in speech we say "two dollars," not "dollars two," in print we always use "dollars two" in the form $2. Then it only makes sense to attach the national identifier to the dollar sign it modifies.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

They also have a tendency to retreat with a white flag.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Who cares where they put the US?

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Apparently, SoSueMe cares.

I'd probably write, "$12 million Canadian" or "$12 million American."

Although I've heard some Canadians don't like to use the adjective "American" to refer to the United States. I don't know if it's true, but the story I heard was that they feel Canadians have as much right to call themselves Americans as people from the U.S. do.

Draft saved Draft deleted