1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Style question: I-AA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

OK, punk, point taken!

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I meant earlier when I said they're both Division I schools, and reporters often wrote as if they didn't know that.

3. Johnny Dangerously

;D

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Or "Texas produced 361 major college football recruits."

There is no law that says you have to sacrifice clarity so Sam Houston State doesn't get its feelings hurt.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

That's probably how I'd write it. I just wrote the previous sentence as a way to assure my personal understanding of the issue.

The Bearkats of Sam may want a little more pub with Rhett Bomar in town. Hopefully for his sake he can steer clear of the other great state institution in that city.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The school I cover plays football in FCS/I-AA, and last week the head coach made a reference to a team being one of the most improved in all of "I-AA." He's getting some flack for still calling it that.
    While I've tried to go with the flow and make use of it in print, I've pretty much decided I don't give a shit since the coaches can't get it right.
    The change was stupid, especially since the NCAA tried to do it between the end of the regular season and the first week of the playoffs last season.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm really torn. I'm a I-A writer that got it right before these name changes, and it was so much easier (and more familiar to the readers) to say I-A and I-AA instead of these stupid ass new names.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Shaggy, Rome wasn't built in a day. I imagine 30-some years ago, when they came up with I-A and I-AA, writers and readers struggled with it.

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

So what do we do with the Division I-AAAs?

10. Johnny Dangerously

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pay no attention to them?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You mean DePaul, Marquette, Gonzaga, Providence, Seton Hall, and St. John's?

Draft saved Draft deleted