1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Style question: I-AA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm told it's now "Championship Subdivision" and not "I-AA" anymore.

So what's the proper style for it now? Is it just Championship Subdivison?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I don't see anything in the style book. Just stick with I-AA; it's what your readers know.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It's the Football Championship Subdivision or FCS.

Division I-A is now the more familiar Bowl Championship Subdivision or BCS.

Since they had to change the titles, I would've preferred Playoff Championship Series for the former I-AA.

I would call it what it is, but make reference to the "former I-AA."

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

I've been wondering about this, too. I remember a few months ago a memo from AP saying it had changed, but to write "NCAA Bowl Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-A)..." whenever it was mentioned. You'd think there would have been enough time since then to drop the "(formerly Division I-A)" part, but obviously not everyone knows of the change yet.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But, more confusing, not all members of thee Bowl Championship Subdivision (BCS) are members of the Bowl Championship Series (BCS).

I think I'll stick with I-A and I-AA, thank you very much.

6. expendable

That's your decision, but you're deciding to be incorrect.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So am I. I also don't call it the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl or the FedEx Orange Bowl.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Don't care if it's correct or not. If Texas Christian University insists on being called Texas Christian on second reference, I'm still calling it TCU.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

As noted in my previous post, there is no Bowl Championship Subdivision. That post was in error.

And yes, it's confusing as hell.

11. expendable

Unlike Texas Christian chosing not to be called TCU (though I'm sure TCU sweatshirts are sold and it s on the helmet) it's an official name change. I-AA no longer exists. Calling the FCS I-AA is the same thing as calling the NEXTEL Cup the Winston Cup.

All I know is that I'm wrong enough without making a clear decision to be wrong.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

It's becoming a big sticking point among the FCS fans. Mainly, they're spitting fire at some papers that insist on sticking with I-A and I-AA.

Draft saved Draft deleted