1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Style question -- Hawaii or Hawai'i?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by e_bowker, Dec 5, 2011.

1. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

I've seen this both ways. Hawaii is, of course, the traditional spelling but Hawai'i seems to be gaining a lot of usage over the past few years (including in the Honolulu papers I've read).
    Is there a standard, AP style for this or is either way acceptable?
    I'm asking because we ran a Hawaii Bowl logo today that uses the Hawai'i spelling, but our headlines say Hawaii. If I'm confused, I'm sure the readers are.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I don't know, but please see the graphics department about a proper map of Hawaii.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

AP style is Hawaii

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

There it is again, the anti-okina bias. Why is the mainstream media always hating on glottal stops?

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Very nicely done.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

1. Honolulu papers run Hawai'i because that's how it's preferred on the island.
    2. AP also calls the Knicks power forward "Amare Stoudemire," avoiding the glottal stop in "Amar'e."
    3. Your readers will not notice this. They're not paying that much attention.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the readers who are confused, and perhaps thinks there is a Hawaii Bowl, but also a Hawai'i Bowl, which also features the same teams on the same day. Won't they get tired? Which one should I watch?

8. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

I meant confused as in the sense of, "Huh. That's odd. I wonder why that's spelled like this here, and this here. Ha Ha! The newspaper people don't know how to spell!"
    More than, "Oh no! There's two bowls! Which one do I watch!?"

9. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Our writers have enough trouble with local names. So I'm not getting into Hawaii/Hawai'i.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Am I stupid for not knowing that was a glottal stop?

rb

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It is also known as a voiceless glottal plosive. Does that make it better or worse?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm so naming my band Voiceless Glottal Plosive

Draft saved Draft deleted