1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Style question for the old-timers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I know that when quoting people, we're supposed to just use the word "said", not "implied," "quipped," "exclaimed," or anything like that.
    I have a stringer who was a news editor many years ago before he got into another line of work. He's a good, solid writer and reporter, but he uses words like "implied," "noted," "exclaimed," etc.
    While the standard practice now is to just use "said" was there a time, maybe 25-30 years ago, when the way he did it, using words other than "said" was the accepted way of doing things?

2. T2

T2 Member

As a 60-year-old, I still think it's acceptable to use the other words in moderation.

Well, most of them, anyway. "Implied" would be incorrect with a direct quotation because if the source implied something, he did not say it. The usage should be more like "By benching his star, the coach implied that tardiness would not go unpunished."

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you want your section to read like it's 60 years old, yeah, that shit's great.

also refer to wrestling as grappling, and games as tilts, those are nice touches.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Spoken like a true thin-clad harrier.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I guess you'd have to hear the quote to know if another word is appropriate. There's nothing wrong with "yelled," "whispered," "added," etc., given the right context.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

"Ejaculated" is always a winner

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

"Said" is the way to go. It's relatively invisible. He "said" it. You stumble over pretty much every other adjective for "said." -- although you can convey the guy's tone with other more words if they apply.
    He "simmered," if he's mad, for instance.
    He "bristled" if you pissed the guy off. It conveys his mood as well

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

please slappy, define that ... i wanna know so i can use in the future.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Used to be a fan of all those other words, then I had my stuff really edited and realized that said is the way to go.
    Boring, trite, plain but gets the job done.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We have an older newsside section editor who was given a specialty column in sports. He uses ... "Smith told me" or "Smith tells me" for most of his quotes. He complains about any edits that are made. So I figured, what the hell, nobody is reading it anyway.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like the throw a "he chortled" in every now and then for variety.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was about how to match spats with wool trousers, or how to trim your Van Dyke.

Draft saved Draft deleted