1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Style question: coach or Coach

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by aztarheel, Jul 17, 2007.

1. aztarheel

aztarheel New Member

Forgive me if this has been posted somewhere before but which is correct style:

"blah blah blah," Podunk coach John Smith said.

OR "blah blah blah," Podunk Coach John Smith said.

We can't agree on it in our shop ... thanks ...

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

definitely lower case.

geez, it ain't the freakin' president..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

nothing upper-case worthy about it. :eek: 8) ::)

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

yeah, go lower case.

4. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

According to AP Style Book, it's "coach" if preceded by a qualifying term like "Podunk coach John Smith." If there's no qualifying term, you capitalize it like "Coach John Smith said."

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

AP style is generally lowercase, but I worked at one where it was uppercased in all instances. Just depends on your paper's style.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

eff AP style. it's just wrong. as wrong as any reporter addressing a coach in a presser as "Coach..." he/she ain't your coach. he/she has a name. use it.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

How 'bout in quotes? When a player says "I spent all summer working on my pass-rush moves with Coach Williams," is that capitalized?

8. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

its coach with a 'c'

You could be like the Daily Podunk Times here in this area. The sports EDITOR there will quote a coach like this:

"We just couldnt play worth a shit tonight. I saw more energy out of the two dogs fucking that I saw on my way to school today," said Coach Smith. "We just have to have more energy, or we'll get the hell beat out of us every week," Coach Smith said.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

TV geekette here uses that term for one person around here so much that it might as well be Nick Saban's first name -- no one else, just Saban...

10. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

I find that pretty ridiculous, Shockey. I think most coaches are actually pretty comfortable being addressed as "Coach".

Do people who don't live in the US not address President Bush as "President Bush"? I mean, he's not their president.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The way I interpret AP style is that the above instance is the only one in which you should capitalize "coach" -- when it's clearly used as a title (like Chief, Sgt., King) rather than a job description. That's why you never should capitalize "general manager," because no one has ever said, "Negotiations with General Manager Cashman are going well."

Draft saved Draft deleted