1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Style: Hell of a OR helluva?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, May 21, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

hell of a .... I'm with Moddy 100% on NEVER EVER EVER using helluva

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It is a hell of a shock that this thread has breached two pages.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Had one of mine changed to "helluva" recently (maybe even "heluva" - ack). But I think it should definitely be "hell of a"

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Story ran tonight for tomorrow. Used heck of a.

It was part of the story, not a quote.

At the risk of outing myself to some of my Canuckistan colleagues, the story was about a player who has started the season incredibly hot. He credits it to his new tinted contacts which he said make him look "demonic" and I bridged that quote to a paragrapgh of his stats with "A fitting description considering he's off to one hell of a start."

But I chose heck being that it's not a quote and hell may still be considere inappropriate.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've heard just as many coaches say "heckuva" ... um ... I mean "heck of a" in those instances.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

What about "gonna"?

You can definitely hear a difference between that and "going to."

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's a little late, but go with "hell of a" or "(heck) of a" not helluva.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue]CNHI is a Hell of a company to work for.[/blue]

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Not to threadjack, Sue -- but are these the Nike soccer lenses you're talking about? I've just ordered a pair. I guess they're orange and on blue eyes look like shit, but I've heard they will take me from a mediocre keeper to a below average one.

Is that what you're talking about? If so, I'm damn excited to try 'em.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

My eye doctor gave me a pair of the green ones to try the next time I play golf. He said they would make a huge difference. I don't really believe him, but I didn't want to say no because he's a helluva nice guy.

If nothing else, I want to get a photo of me with bright green eyes.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Yeah, John, I saw the golf ones too. Just ordered the soccer ones for now. Let me know how you like the others.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No one has ever said "helluva."

They may speak fast enough so that it sounds like all the words are squeezed together, but in our casual language today it also sounds like people say "would of" instead of "would have" and we don't change this.

It's "hell of a" — always.

Draft saved Draft deleted