1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Style: Hell of a OR helluva?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, May 21, 2007.

1. Helluva is NOT a word. To be grammatically correct, use "Hell of a" and never the other. Occassionally I edit other writers' copy and when I see this word, I immediatly change it. It's not a word. You can't find it in a dictionary. If you print it, you are putting errors in your paper on purpose. You may want to use it because it looks or sounds "cool" but it's not a part of the English language. Do not ever, in any case, use "helluva."

2. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

I'm with SF. I use helluva (sparingly) if it fits the tone of the story and the person who said it. Same with "I dunno" instead of "I don't know."

If used right, I think it communicates something different to the reader about the subject's personality or the tone of the moment.

3. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

If any of the coaches around here used that word, all the local churches would be instantly calling for him to be fired.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think it a straight gamer or sports news story - it has to be "hell of a"

In a column or something less formal, you can get away with "helluva," but I would still avoid it.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I used to be of the "helluva" school, until somebody said almost the exact same thing to me one time. It's been "hell of a" ever since.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

7. kbb

kbb Member

I agree 100 percent with Charlie Brown. (Good grief!)

8. Thanks for agreeing. And, so you know, I once thought the word was "trendy" or "cool" to use to although I tried to use it only once. That's when an editor stepped in and said "It's not a word and until it is recognized as a word in the English language, we aren't recognizing it either."

I must admit, I had to fully agree with his opinion and have never used it since and always edited it out when others have tried to use it but because I'm not an editor it still slips into our section when a particular copy editor of ours lets it slide by.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hell of a. And I took some heat once. Quoted a high school coach that way, and he got calls from local clergy. He calls me, says its "helluva." Sorry coach. That's not a word, and there is no connotational difference.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd argue there is a connotation difference.

But in a straight gamer, go with "hell of a".

Feature, or a reason to show the inflection, I don't have a problem with helluva.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Another option: a different phrase. Or paraphrase.
    Does hell need to be in the paper?

12. joe

joe Active Member

Fuck yeah it does. As do slow-pitch softball teams called "Destined for Fucking Mediocrity."

Draft saved Draft deleted