1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupidest question of the day . . . maybe ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Not from me, but overheard today.

I was getting my hair cut today, making the normal pointless small talk. A soldier in full fatigues sits down in the chair next to me to get his hair cut. So the girl cutting his hair tries to make small talk as well, he mentions he just got back from Afghanistan. I kid you not, she asks in all seriousness "Oh, did you have good time over there?" He responds with something like "Well it's a war, so no."

But that wasn't the end of it. She continues to try to make small talk, at one point eliciting the response from said soldier "Well over there people are trying to kill me with bullets and explosives."

Towards the end of it she starts asking him about work here and he says that he could be called back to Afghanistan, and she follows up with "Oh, that's still going on?"

I am having difficulty deciding if this is the height of stupidity or ignorance.

2. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Some of the dumbest people I've ever met, including high school sports stars, are hair dressers.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And she probably makes more money than most journalists.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I gotta say I felt sorry for the guy. You could tell he was holding back.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If your paper runs new hires for area companies, I'm betting good portion of them are hair dressers, with many jumping from salon to salon every few months.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

WTF was a soldier doing at a hair dresser instead of a barber shop?

7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Cosmetologist/Hourly_Rate

Not that this is official, but it did make me feel a little bit better.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

There really aren't many barber shops around here. This at least was a hair dresser that serves I think only men.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Given the choice between an old man running his hands through my hair for 15 minutes and a cute but vapid young woman, I know which one I'd choose.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yep, old man every time.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And her job will never be outsourced to India.

12. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

She was stroking him for a tip.

Draft saved Draft deleted