1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupidest Parents Yet!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, May 21, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It was a lapse of judgement because they got their 75 cents for the washer back. If they had wasted it without even getting the kid's diaper clean, it would have been a tragic error.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I saw the video. I have to agree with Rick. It was a lapse of judgment and common sense. You can see that the father is playing with his child and puts in the washer not knowing it was going to lock when he closed the door. I don't think it was done to intentionally harm the child.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thread title is wrong.

Neither of the people in the video are the kid's parents.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gvRxAq7wb9Kexx2A8DduRIUD5E8w?docId=08c5bd5f592740ca8486f9da8a4c16f5

It's the dad's girlfriend ... and some other guy.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Let's not let the facts ruin a good story.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Drip, we know why you think it's no big deal. But ignoring that, people so fucking stupid they don't know how a washing machine works need to avoid situations involving even the slightest responsibility.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I see where you're coming from, and certainly parents do things all the time that put a child in danger through stupidity, trying to be too funny or not paying enough attention. But what these people did and what your story describes are not even in the same ballpark. These folks actually put the child in the machine, so I have no problem with them taking heat on this one.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I never said it wasn't a big deal. It was a stupid prank that went wrong but fortunately didn't go terribly wrong.
    Here's the skinny on the situation. The woman in the video is the baby sitter. The guy is a friend. He was playing "peek-a-boo" with the child when he put the child in the washing machine.
    Because this incident went viral, the baby sitter has been receiving threats.
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/video/#!/news/local/Babysitter-in-Viral-Video-Talks-Only-to-NBC-10/153400605

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Actually, he was lucky the door didn't close on him and severerly hurt him. I've read of cases where children were hurt and even killed because garage doors closed on them.

Otherwise, though, your point does stand about parents' lack of judgement. My dumb thing was when my oldest was a baby. I had him on his changing table to change his diaper. He was in one of those cloth mattress things with raised edges a few inches high, and the table was out of diapers, but there was a new package across the room. Without thinking, I left him on the table, went over to get the package, turned around, and saw him roll off the table. He cried a bunch, but he wasn't hurt otherwise.

Believe me, I felt like the worst parent in the world at that moment.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Baron, I had a similar incident. I was changing my child and thought I had a diaper in the room. I didn't so I layed her down on the bed and went into another room to get one. I wasn't gone five seconds tops. In that time, her bib somehow covered her face and suddenly she was gasping for air. Luckily, I got there in time but learned a very important lesson, keep an overflow stock of diapers in EVERY ROOM.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Did this exact same thing when I was babysitting as a teenager. Had the baby on the table and literally took two steps to the adjacent bathroom to grab the wipes or tissue or something. Baby rolled off, but fortunately landed face-first on a package of diapers on the floor. The folks were renting a room to a guy, and he happened to see the incident, and I was never asked back.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

In the blink of an eye....

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would say that letting your girlfriend and her boyfriend take your toddler to the laundromat, is especially stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted