1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid things to say to readers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Voodoo Chile, Sep 26, 2010.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Only one?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've told my boss that if I could get amnesty for one week to give real, honest answers to complainers I'd turn back that week's paycheck.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

You say stupid things you shouldn't in any job -- or just make mistakes in general.

In my retail gig, I made a minor mistake that led a woman to double-check her receipt and realize someone else at my store had made a big, biggity, big-big mistake. One that was time consuming for her (and as ROYALLY pissing her off) as well as us. I took my medicine, apologized for the other person's and went to my manager to find another way to make it right.

Then on Friday I made a big mistake in my story. I probably never would have realized it if I didn't see the highlights on the news the next morning. I'll be ready to be bitched at by the coach when I cover the team this week.

It's not that bad. As long as you learn from them you don't feel like such a dumb ass the next time around.

Oh, and it's way better if it's not your mistake.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Any voicemail before noon is generally a bad one.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I don't think truer words have ever been written.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Our voicemail has an automated time stamp thing on it. The ones I hate are "call received 5:40 AM". What moron expects someone to be in the sports department at that hour? Unless, of course, the computers go down, the press won't run or there's some other sort of major fuck up just getting the paper out.

7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Usually the kind of moron who bitches up a storm, anonymously.

8. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

A news guy here wrote a column about how much he hates seeing the red dot (voicemail) on his phone when he walks in the office. haha

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Had a voicemail waiting for me today when I got in. Some old-sounding dude that said, "You guys stink." That was it; then he hung up. I'm not sure what's worse: stinking or not knowing why you stink.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

oh c'mon, you know why

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I call those a drive-by shooting. Just awesome.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

aka "phone bombs"

Draft saved Draft deleted