1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

stupid, stupid kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Aug 13, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

has anyone else heard of the game space monkey? am watching dr. phil and they're talking about this. it's also called the choking game. seems kids are choking each other to the point they pass out as a way to get high. i'm not a parent but this still scares the hell out of me because i have nieces and nephews and i could see one of my nieces being talked into playing this game.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

[​IMG]

What's the big deal?

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

We used to do a version of it at summer camp, 30 years ago

The person would hyper-ventilate for a about 10 or 15 seconds, then hold his breath while another person squeezed them in a bear hug.

you would definitely pass out, for about 5 seconds.

the "thrill" was in waking up and being disoriented

Stupid, yeah, but we weren't wrapping anything around our necks

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Idiotic.

Everyone will turn a blind eye to it until some idiot chokes his/her friend to the point where he/she chokes to death.

I'm not near a television, but I'm curious what Dr. Phil says about it.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This belongs on the "things you never thought anyone would say" thread.

Secondly, many people have died while taking part in this. It's not new.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I wouldn't trust Dr. Phil watching my house for a weekend nor would I take anything he says about this with any credibility.

Just curious what he'd say about it, in general.

7. txsportsscribe

there have apparently been a number of deaths around the country, many 1st thought to be suicides.

8. tool_shed32

tool_shed32 Member

Kids thse days will do anything just to get a cheap thrill. Somehow I've got to raise mine not to fall in line with the rest of the misguided morons roaming the earth . . . that responsibility falls solely on my shoulders.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Well, 20-30 years ago there was the whipped cream inhalation high; glue sniffing (damn I liked that smell but decided to play ball instead of try to get high).

This is scary. But oh so stupid.

There's always Russian Roulette as an alternative to get a "high".

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I would think the first death will come with a kid that has an undiagnosed heart problem, one that this will stress juuuuust enough to do real damage. And I'm guessing it'll happen very soon, if it hasn't already.

11. txsportsscribe

it already has in several cases

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Not surprised.

Draft saved Draft deleted