1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid question spurred by a random thought

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For some reason, as the wife and I were driving down the road today, I had this weird question pop into my head.
    If you just picked a random piece of ground, and weren't drilling specifically for gas, oil or water, how far down could you dig? If you had enough time and money, the best equipment, etc.? Is there any limit?
    We're just drilling a hole here, not a mine or a well.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Extra credit: How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie pop center?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Three.

[​IMG]

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And how about that airline food!

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My brothers used to tell me we could dig to China, but we never got that close.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well you'd most likely have to get a permit and the state where you wanted to drill would also have some rules as well.
    at least for heavy machinery. If you were digging by hand and it was private property you could get to a couple hundred feet if you knew what you were doing and had the safety equipment to keep the shaft from collapsing.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia:

The Kola Superdeep Borehole is the result of a scientific drilling project of the former USSR. The project attempted to drill as deep as possible into the Earth's crust. Drilling began on 24 May 1970 on the Kola Peninsula, using the Uralmash-4E, and later the Uralmash-15000 series drilling rig. A number of boreholes were drilled by branching from a central hole. The deepest, SG-3, reached 12,262 metres (40,230 ft) in 1989, and is the deepest hole ever drilled, and the deepest artificial point on the earth.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

They would've gone farther down, but ran into Jimmy Hoffa.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is the Kola Superdeep Borehole worthy of the HOF?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That was only after they encountered and defeated the Morlocks and Silurians, though.
    Leave it to the Russians to try something incredibly nonsensical just to see if they could.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

You really can't beat the Uralmash for that kind of work. I use it in my backyard all the time.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"General Beringer, the Russians are at 40,000 feet. What does the WOPR recommend?"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted