1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid question -- French blue shirts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, May 22, 2012.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Like you, UNCGrad, I always associate French Blue with, to be kind, the type of person who doesn't often need to wear a dress shirt. As such, I've stayed away. But if it works, it works. Sounds like it did in this situation.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Late to the party as well. Congrats to UNCGrad on getting the job.

On an other note, who wears buttondown shirts with a suit? That's a serious fashion faux pas--unless you're over 50 and wearing seersucker.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In the United States, a buttondown collar is what you'd wear with a 3/2 sack suit. But I've long broken that fashion rule to include any natural-shouldered traditional American suit. I have a couple point-collared white shirts for when I want to follow the rule, but usually I don't choose to.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of the 3/2 sack style or natural shouldered suits. I don't consider them very dressy but that's just me.

Not that I wear suits at work anymore but if I did, I'd tend to a more formal styling and shirts with French cuffs. Or I'd wear a sports jacket or blazer --and then I'd be cool with a buttondown.

It's almost impossible to find white or blue buttondown dress shirts up here

But maybe it's a cultural thing.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't like the high-shouldered, euro cut on a jacket.
    Count me in the sack-cut camp.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's not an either/or. You can have a suit that has some structure to it without it looking like you are wearing shoulder pads.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same here.

[​IMG]

Honestly? The only people my age I see wearing pink or pastel dress shirts are insecure douchebags of the highest order.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love a good soft pastel shirt if it's popped with a strong tie.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

I have completely changed my mind about pink in the past two or three years. Wore nothing pink for the first half-century of my life because I was taught "pink is for girls." Now I wear a pink shirt maybe once every other week or so. Also, I allow myself a good cry in the men's room sometimes now. But I still avoid cologne because I view it as a gateway drug not to being a douchebag but to actually purchasing one.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And ... sigged.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I have a nice pink uni stripe from brooks bros that works well in the spring/summer.

Pink actually started off as being for boys because it was closer to red (a power color). That changed sometime in the 19-Teens or 20s (at least from what I've read)

12. Frank_Ridgeway

I have that same shirt. Can't find it on their website now, but BB usually calls the pink stripe on the Oxford buttondown "red." Although BB has no difficulty using the p-word on solid shirts.

Draft saved Draft deleted