1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid question -- French blue shirts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, May 22, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I never heard of a French blue shirt. If it is that dark blue I saw on google images just now, not a fan. I own a bunch of blue button downs, but all much lighter than that. I don't want my shirt competing with my jacket.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From what I could discern online, more like a royal blue than navy.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

You should be fine if you pair it with a lighter colored suit, think tan. Won't work so well with a navy suit obviously. If you have only one dress shirt, I would recommend getting a few more. I have a few new and a bunch from the consignment shop for a good mix.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I prefer the baby blue with a subtle pattern. Show that you are secure in your manliness and go pink or light purple.

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I have choices, but I was just wondering whether this was a choice to throw out permanently.

6. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a blue french cuffed shirt. If you're going to wear one to an interview, I'd suggest a tailored one. Other than that, it's good for special formal occasion like weddings and work events where you'll be wearing a suit but not busting your ass filing multiple stories, if you get what I'm saying. Lean to a little shade of darker rather than lighter with the blue (but not TOO dark, this is crucial) and wear a sharp contrasting tie and you'll look great.

If your french cuff shirt isn't perfect fitting, I wouldn't wear it for an interview, but it if is, knock yourself out. And no, you can't and shouldn't wear a french cuffed shirt without a tie. The whole point of cufflinks is to be more formal and dressy. Want to go without a tie? Leave the cufflinks at home.

Yeah, just call me this dude without the murderous streak....

[​IMG]

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I wouldn't throw it out, but if you are going for a job interview, I would keep it with a crisp, white shirt and a red or blue tie. KISS

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'd wear whatever looks sharp and YOU ARE COMFORTABLE in. If you're comfortable with your look, it will help with your confidence and you can concentrate on the important stuff.

9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I went with the French blue on Wednesday (wore white with red tie on the first visit), and got the offer today.

10. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Congrats, bro.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sacre bleu!

Yeah, I said it. :D

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Congrats.

I'm late to this party. I like standard blue (and blue stripes) but do not care for French blue. I don't think it's bad, it's just not for me. I've always worn white shirts to job interviews, though. I wouldn't consider anything else. But then I really love white shirts. There was a period in my 20s when white with buttondown collar was the only kind of shirt I wore -- even with old faded jeans and sneakers.

Draft saved Draft deleted