1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid question for fellow golfers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Max Mercy, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

I have a gift card for a golf shop. I don't need any new clubs or a bag or shoes or anything. Smart thing might be to buy a bunch of boxes of balls, since I'll inevitably need them. But I was considering getting one of those big practice nets for the back yard, since the nearest driving range just went out of business, and the next closest is 20 minutes away.

My stupid question -- is there any real benefit to a practice net? I mean, if you can't tell where the shot is going, can you really get anything out of endless free swings?

2. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

how confident are you in your game? With me, I've played enough that even if I don't see the ball go more than 4-5 yards, I almost always know if I hit it well or poorly, pulled it or sliced it, based on the swing.

Nets are best for people that have played a lot and just need to get back into the rhythm.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Buying golf balls isn't a bad idea, either.

If you do, splurge a little and get something better than TopRocks (aka TopFlite).

And if you haven't already, don't forget to get a new golf glove.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't pay retail for golf balls. Go to eBay.

Agree with Junkie, use it on a lesson or video analysis.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If you know your swing and can tell how you hit the ball by the feel, the net is great (I hit Callaway plastic balls in my backyard, they are about half the weight but still give good feedback.) If you get the net, don't forget to get the practice mat as well, your grass will thank you.

Get your clubs regripped. They will make you feel like you got new clubs.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

What qtlaw said.

rb

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Buy as many mulligans as they will sell you.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Buy a bunch of Greg Norman logo stuff, like hats and shirts. Your game might suck, but people will know you can buy logos.

9. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Thanks, all. Good suggestions. I'd love to use the card toward lessons, but this place doesn't offer any. And my clubs are less than a year old, so I'm not sure they need to be regripped just yet. Now logos... I can buy logos. People will then think I'm cool.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

See if the local Mens club will accept the card. Buy yourself a post round lap dance.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We live in a small apartment building and our neighbour (also the building manager) is a greenskeeper at St. George's, home of this year's Canadian Open. He bought a net, put it in the backyard and then spent all last summer working on his Moe Norman swing.

He knocked about six strokes off his game (shoots high 70's and low 80's now) and of course got all kinds of weird looks because of his swing.

Buy a net

Draft saved Draft deleted