1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid question, but ... Why such hatred for Toby Keith?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedSmithClone, Oct 30, 2006.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Simply put, Democrat Toby Keith is a vile war profiteer. Successfully furthering his entertainment career -- and personal bank account -- by pandering to the lowest common (jingoistic) denominator.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Hey! I'll have you know Toby's father lost an eye in battle.

If that's not a reason for thousands to follow suit, I don't know what is.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Simply put, Toby Keith just ain't that damn important, folks.

Just one more dumbass entertainer who thinks he's a fucking political pundit.
    And we have way too many of those on all sides these days.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Profiteer, schmofiteer. [passiveaggressiverankling]

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'd like to point out that there's equal disdain for Mellencamp's Chevy commercials, and he's toward the left.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's called "Who's That Man."

I don't mind some of his songs. "I Love This Bar" has a great video.

7. That's mostly because you can't go more than five minutes on a televised sports event without hearing it. Nails on a chalkboard.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I think you're giving yourself WAY too much credit there, BYH

And Lyman, as for, "That most of the denizens of this site don't agree with them might speak to the disconnect a lot of journalists seem to have with 'ordinary' people." ... I disagree. Shocking, I know. Oh the horror of it.

Freedom of speech, freedom of press, freedom of ideas. Great concepts. If we all agreed on one thing, I would worry we might be going to a Communist state. We're not supposed to agree on everything, let alone Toby Keith. You might see Toby Keith as an example of SportsJournalists.commers having a disconnect with "ordinary" people. Others might read your post and believe that you have the disconnect. It works both ways, which is how it should be.

Now apply that to Republicans and Democrats, Yankees and Red Sox, BYH and spnited, Toby Keith and the Dixie Chicks -- you get the idea.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I liked the video for "How Do You Like Me NOW?" because of the cheerleader in the flashback.

Any idea for how to get the name of the actress?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Don't know the name of the actress, but I did like that song.

11. Hypothetically, if 80 percent of Americans love Toby Keith and 80 percent of journalists hate him, wouldn't that strike you as a bit odd?

Reminds me of how spastic Maureen Dowd became in print when W said he'd never seen "Sex And The City." Well, neither have I. Nor, I'm willing to bet, the majority of Americans.

Then again, I'm convinced no other business in the world has more contempt for their customers than journalists do for our readers.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yes, because that would be to say there's 160 percent in play, not 100.

Draft saved Draft deleted