1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid New Jersey stealing my identity

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 4, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So the identity thieves have struck again.

This time it was me.

Someone in Paramus, New Jersey, has a copy of a cloned card with my name and debit card number on it and they've been using it this morning.

I just happened to check my online account today to see if a deposit had went through and instead, about $1,200 was missing.

It seems my card had been on a buying spree at Best Buy and Macy's EAS and, according to my bank, they had purchased quite a bit more, around $5,000 worth but Mastercard put a hold on it because the purchases didn't match my spending history or something.

As soon as I saw it, I called my bank and said "I need to speak to someone about my account and it is urgent." After going through the account number and mother's maiden name security check, I said, "I don't know where the hell Paramus, New Jersey is and I'm for damn sure not at Best Buy."
    The guy was like, "oh" and then I was put on hold.
    A couple minutes goes by.
    I hear this, "Hi [name redacted], this is Karen. I'm head of security here and I'm glad you called because I was about to call you."

The bank has already provisionally restored the account. Cut the card off, allowed me to get some cash for the weekend, talking to law enforcement and are in the process of sending me a new card.

I've already filed a fraud affidavit and I'd be really pissed but my bank has already taken care of me.

So I'm just sort of pissed. I'd like to know who took my money, so if some bored but enterprising news reporter in or around Paramus needs a story, have I got a tale for you.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I blame spnited.

... The banks are usually really responsive to these kinds of things. Their fraud departments have seen it all, so they know you are being truthful and they will take the liability. They try to prevent fraud, but they also write off a certain amount per year to fraud, so this is nothing all that major to the bank. I have had this happen with credit cards and assuming that a fraudulent debit card charge is similar (except that money was debited from your bank account, rather than it coming out of a credit line), they should credit your account back what was stolen contingently, and they'll probably have a form (or separate forms for each fraudulent purchase) for you to fill out certifying that you didn't authorize the charges. That will be the last you hear of it, if it is typical.

That said, you might want to try to ascertain how the thieves got the info. It could have been something you ordered online, in which your data wasn't protected, for example. You just want to make sure it's a limited instance. Your bank, with that in mind, might issue you a new debit card with a new mastercard or visa number, just to be safe.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Haven't you been writing about some mobsters? Coincidence? I think not!

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As a proud son of New Jersey, I object to you blaming the entire state.
    I am in the process of shopping for a new bank, in part, because of the current bank's lack of adequate response to a minor compromise of my account info.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I take back what I said.

I blame Buck, not Spnited.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Buck is always to blame because he's such a looser.

You will be able to get all your money back, right, Jay?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They didn't use it to get gas? What a stupid scammer!

8. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Same thing happened to me in 2006. I had just happened to stop at the bank to deposit a check from some freelance work about an hour after several of the purchases were made (about 250 miles away).

The bank couldn't have been more cooperative or nice about everything, which really helped me to calm down about it as the whole ordeal pretty much took me entirely by surprise. The bank restored all the money from the fraudulent purchases back into by checking account. Ended up being at the bank about three hours longer than I anticipated going in for a simple deposit, but it ended up working out and I'm sure I'm fortunate we caught it when we did.

Still never figured out how it happened though. I suppose it had to from buying something or another online.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Does this mean I'm gonna have to return to 52-inch HDTV and home theater system Jay Farrar bought for me at Best Buy yesterday?

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Nah, you can keep it. It will give you something to look forward to in 8-10. :D

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The same thing just happened to me last week; luckily, it was only a couple of purchases for a little over $150. Like Jay, I was looking for something else and I saw the first charge, and the second one showed up a couple days later.

The bank handled it great; I had the money back in the account a day after I called the claims department. The only problem I had was when the bank canceled my debit card and I went to the local branch to request a new one, I couldn't get a temporary card because I actually opened the account in San Diego, and my current home is considered right at the southern end of "Northern" California. (You can only get a temporary card in the same state you opened the account, and my bank splits the state into Southern and Northern.) So, I'm spending a few days without a debit card until I get the new one in the mail.

What this has taught me is the importance of checking your account every day online. Also, my bank, at the accountholder's request, can send a daily e-mail telling you your account balance, which is a good reminder to check said account.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

After telling my story, it seems I'm not the only person in my town to have suddenly been hit by a identity thief.

Not quite an epidemic, but I've heard from a few people who were also hit last week.

The bank is working on it. State/federal law says they have to provide some resolution within ten days. A provisional credit has already been given, so I suspect everything will be fine.

Hard part is waiting on the new card. I didn't realize how much I depended on a piece of plastic. Even when I had cash, I used a card. Now that cash is the only option, I feel like a hoarder, trying to hang on to the money for as long as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted