1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid Grammar Question for the Editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jul 8, 2012.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If there was ever a need for a running thread, this would be it for me.

Need a quick and correct answer: Should it be "This remains between him and I" or "him and me."

??? Thanks.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Him and me.

http://languageandgrammar.com/2008/11/09/is-it-him-and-i-or-him-and-me/

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Might need a second source on that....my hair hurts reading grammar explanations.

Oh, fuck it. Going with 'he and I.' I think that's correct. (Is it? I am a mess today.)

4. The pronouns are the objects of between, so it should be him and me. If the pronouns were subjects, it would be he and I.

Ex: He and I remain in constant contact.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Him and me.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Me and him are objects. He and I are subjects. He and I is wrong as an object, and him and I is always wrong.

He and I only sounds right because your mother told you so many times to use I and not me.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

A handy way to figure this is to omit the "... and ..."

You wouldn't say, "This remains between I," but you would say, "This remains between me."

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"This remains between us."

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Tried that but implies it's between the reader and me (I?) and in this case it's none of the reader's damn business. Although it would make a much better story.

But you know what? I might just drop the line altogether. Someone is going read it and think I got it wrong. I don't get caught up in writer's rules but this one is an obsession for me: If there's any chance a reader is going stop and wonder if I made a mistake or question what I meant, it has to come out.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

us = object
    we = subject

It's one of those things we don't think about because we don't decline nouns like many other languages do.

We only decline pronouns, and even then, there aren't many choices.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Theodore Bernstein says in The Careful Writer that "between you and I" is an "overrefinement."

http://books.google.com/books?id=qYd35MUlSm4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=%22the+careful+writer%22+bernstein&hl=en&src=bmrr&sa=X&ei=59P5T-LsFOq30QH11oyGBw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22between%20you%20and%20i%22&f=false

Practical answer is it's 50-50 an editor will change it no matter what you do.

12. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

We went to the movies. He and I went to the movies.

It's between us. It's between him and me.

Draft saved Draft deleted