1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid coach doesn't know stupid rule, and other stupid coach calls him out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, May 29, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bingo. Again, happens every year.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Maybe the home team should have an advantage.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with the spirit of the rule, but I do disagree with its punishment. To lose a game, after the fact and on a protest, seems a bit harsh. If the coach had protested before the game started and raised the concern then, I think that would have been fine.

But to wait until after the game, the next day, is ridiculous. Why would he allow his own players to go through all the emotion and crying after the loss. That's what doesn't make sense to me, unless this guy is just an asshole.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

First time I heard of this was decades ago. At that time the CIF office was in Norwalk, virtually next door to Gahr High. The CIF commissioner (might have been Ken Fagans) drove past Gahr on his way to work and saw the team taking batting practice at 7:30 a.m. He busted them. Didn't seem fair because it might have been happening elsewhere, and he only saw it because his office was next to the school.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's a stupid-ass rule.

Put in a rule that the visiting team will be allowed 20 minutes prior to the first pitch (from game-time minus-30 minutes to minus-10 minutes) to take whatever form of practice they deem appropriate.

The home team may also hold 20 minutes of organized practice on the game field (from minus-50 to minus-30).

The final 10 minutes before game time will be used for groundskeeping and maintenance purposes, plus any pregame ceremonies which may be planned. Pitchers should be warmed up and ready to throw when game time hits 0:00.

If the visiting team does not deem it important enough to arrive in time to avail themselves of this practice time, tough shit for them. If traffic is a problem they need to plan accordingly.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Some might call this karma...

http://www.losangelesregister.com/articles/santa-600279-monica-bench.html

7. MileHigh

Or how about another profest?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What if those rules are broken?

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

If the field had a fence behind the goal post, the field was fenced in.
    Before I got to high school, a team in our conference had its baseball lights on poles about 50 feet in from the outfield fence. The upperclassmen said they were always fun to run around during games. That school took them out and went without lights by the time I got into high school.

10. MileHigh

My brother is an AD in SoCal and knows all these dumb-ass rules, from the type of football and basketball to be used in the playoffs to the fenced-in baseball fields (not that his school has to worry about it) and, yes, the no-batting practice rule. He deals with so much B.S., and that's before the parents get involved.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When it comes to the CIF, it can get as arcane as the NCAA. A few years ago, a girls water polo team we cover hosts a playoff game. One of the trusted parents is named the announcer, even though they hadn't had one all year. But the rest of the story? He does the intros and slips in an occasional "Podunk goal by Tammy Twometer," but he also reads the plugs for all the CIF's sponsors, lest the school be fined.

Draft saved Draft deleted