1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid coach doesn't know stupid rule, and other stupid coach calls him out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, May 29, 2014.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I think the losing coach actually comes off more of an ass in this one but that doesn't change the fact he broke a rule. It's a stupid rule, but it doesn't appear to be an obscure rule.

It reminds me of some of the NCAA rules. We all agree they are stupid and against the spirit of the bylaw, but rules are rules.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How was this against the spirit of the bylaw?

The bylaw exists so the home team does not have an advantage over the visiting team in the amount of batting practice it can take. The bylaw even says a pitching motion is prohibited "with any type of ball." Further, according to the article it is specifically noted as a playoff rule. In this case we have the home team, before a playoff game, using a pitching motion.

The ruling is well within the letter AND the spirit of the bylaw.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't even think its a stupid rule. Its there for a reason. With LA-area traffic, teams may be arriving for a playoff game minutes before first pitch.

The stupidity comes when coaches skirt it, or don't know it at all.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Come on. It's a little dumb. Hitting wiffle balls? I'm all for no live BP with real balls, but wiffle balls? Visiting teams could set that up and do it if they wanted to in minutes.

5. poindexter

But the rule has been on the books for 17 years. The rule says any ball. When my kid played little league ten years ago, they warmed up with wiffle balls. There's a reason teams warm up with wiffle balls: It helps them get ready to hit. And it isn't fair when the home team is warming up, and the visitors are on the freeway.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

But they weren't on the freeway. They were filming the other team hit wiffle balls.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Your avatar is the greatest thing of all-time.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They were probably in the middle of warm-up throws or some fielding drill, the kind of thing you absolutely have to do with limited time. And the home team has unlimited time to do everything it wants.

As poin noted, the reason they were throwing the Whiffle balls overhand is because it helps them get ready to hit. Otherwise they wouldn't do it.

This isn't a stupid rule. It's a rule that has existed for a good long time and apparently is not too difficult for 99 percent of teams to observe.

9. poindexter

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

TO THE EXTREME!

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is nothing new in the Southern Section. Been going on for decades. Just waiting for the inevitable lawsuit when parents/coaches/players are wronged, especially from nice areas like Peninsula. Have covered a few of them over the decades.

That said, the money-grubbing CIF-SS has more than a few issues when it comes to its playoffs across the board, from fall to spring. This rule is not one of them. As noted, it's been around since the 20th century. Know the rules. And the AD needs to know the rules so the coach knows the rules. Because things change when the playoffs start.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sure they didn't send someone to the field well ahead of the team arriving to videotape any and all pregame?

Draft saved Draft deleted