1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid coach doesn't know stupid rule, and other stupid coach calls him out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, May 29, 2014.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

A lot of dumb going on here.

http://www.losangelesregister.com/articles/peninsula-600158-cif-monica.html

Seems to happen every year in SoCal.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Protests are supposed to happen before the next play. So if the game hadn't started yet, why didn't they make the coach protest before the game, not after?

I suspect that had the other team won, there wouldn't have been a protest.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This has been going on a long time.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/may/30/sports/sp-hsdailyreport30

Know the rules, coaches.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd guess the coach actually did know about the rule, but didn't much care for it, and dared the other guy to call him out.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Rules are rules.

I hope it was worth it, because that guy is going to have to make sure he follows every rule by the letter for the rest of his life.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

“CIF needs a rule change,” senior outfielder Edward Haus tweeted. “It’s unbelievable that our season comes to an end like this. Santa Monica owes me a CIF ring. They robbed us.”

You lost in the second round of a 32 team tournament. You didn't quite have a ring yet.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

"... Santa Monica owes me a CIF ring. They robbed us.”

Just wait until the kid is left off the All-Area team. ::)

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Kinda hard for me to muster up a bunch of sympathy for the (ultimately) losing team ... Would imagine that Whiffle ball batting practice was out of the norm, so I doubt those kids were innocent victims of their coach's decision. I reserve the right to amend this position, however, if it is the case that such an approach to batting practice is not out of the ordinary.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can't say for high schools, but I would say below that level just about every team does it, or at least far more do than don't. Coaches want players to see the ball out of the pitcher's hand, but you can't hit hardballs all over the place during warmups. So unless there's a cage with an L-screen where the coach can throw BP, Whiffle balls are the closest replica.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He'll probably go on a shooting spree now.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Hilarious joke.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dude, kids are going on shooting sprees because they can't get a piece of ass.

That has become the umbrella of insanity. Everything else falls underneath it.

Draft saved Draft deleted